Schilthirn, Jungfrau, Matterhorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2011 at 11:07:42 #804124

Hi there
    I’m staying in Geneva and am planning a weekend trip to the Bernese Oberland. I have a half-price pass. I have accommodation booked in Murren and will arrive there at 11am.

I plan to take the trip up to Schilthorn that afternoon and from what I’ve read, this is easily managable. I will leave the area early Sunday afternoon.

My question is: having been up to Schilthorn, would you also recommend the longer, and much more expensive trip up to Jungfrau? Does it offer a very different experience? Or would it be better (and for a similar cost) to take a second day trip from Genava to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn?

So – if you were to pick two of these three mountains – Schilthorn, Jungfrau and Matterhorn – which ones would they be?

I know it’s quite a long trip Geneva – Zermatt, but that’s not a problem for me.

I would really appreciate your views. Thank you in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    4 February 2011 at 19:44:05 #832187

Having visited all three (some multiple times), my personal favorite is the Schilthorn. The views are simply stunning, I find the views much more compelling than those from the Jungfrau. There is a revolving restaurant at the peak that enables you to get a 360 degree panorama (one rotation per hour)

The really special thing about the Jungfrau is the miracle of the train that takes you there. If you are a train person, by all means go!

The Matterhorn is special, of course, but personally I wouldn’t make the trip just to go see it.

In all cases, please be aware that your ability to see anything from any of these peaks (or even to see the peaks from the ground below) is entirely dependent on the weather. You cannot “schedule in” a visit to any of these peaks any more than you can schedule the weather. You can only make plans and hope for the best.

My recommendation is to go to Murren and spend both Saturday and Sunday in the area. That way you have a better chance of weather cooperating on one of the days. Also, clouds often come in during the afternoon so you should plan to stow your bags and immediately take the lift up to the Schilthorn if you can go up on Saturday. The Bernese Oberland is, in my opinion, the most beautiful spot in all of Switzerland. It would be a shame for you to come all the way from Geneva to only spend one day there. Let us know if you’d like additional ideas of things to do. I stayed there for three months one summer and never got bored.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2011 at 20:02:17 #832188

The Bernese Oberland is indeed the most beautiful area in all of Switzerland and a visit to the lovely village of Grindlewald is a must. To walk through with the Monk,Eiger and the Jungfrau looming over the main street takes your breath away.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2011 at 3:24:36 #832189

Wow, thank you Kim. That is really helpful advice. I shall spend both days there and go to Schilthorn at the first showing of good weather. I’m not that much of a train person, so I think I’d rather look at the mountains, than be on them.
    P
    [quote]kim11 said: Having visited all three (some multiple times), my personal favorite is the Schilthorn. The views are simply stunning, I find the views much more compelling than those from the Jungfrau. There is a revolving restaurant at the peak that enables you to get a 360 degree panorama (one rotation per hour)

The really special thing about the Jungfrau is the miracle of the train that takes you there. If you are a train person, by all means go!

The Matterhorn is special, of course, but personally I wouldn’t make the trip just to go see it.

In all cases, please be aware that your ability to see anything from any of these peaks (or even to see the peaks from the ground below) is entirely dependent on the weather. You cannot “schedule in” a visit to any of these peaks any more than you can schedule the weather. You can only make plans and hope for the best.

My recommendation is to go to Murren and spend both Saturday and Sunday in the area. That way you have a better chance of weather cooperating on one of the days. Also, clouds often come in during the afternoon so you should plan to stow your bags and immediately take the lift up to the Schilthorn if you can go up on Saturday. The Bernese Oberland is, in my opinion, the most beautiful spot in all of Switzerland. It would be a shame for you to come all the way from Geneva to only spend one day there. Let us know if you’d like additional ideas of things to do. I stayed there for three months one summer and never got bored.[/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2011 at 3:25:40 #832190

thank you Hazmel – now I am not going up the Jungfrau, I’ll have time to go to Grindelwald.
    [quote]hazmel said: The Bernese Oberland is indeed the most beautiful area in all of Switzerland and a visit to the lovely village of Grindlewald is a must. To walk through with the Monk,Eiger and the Jungfrau looming over the main street takes your breath away.[/quote]

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    15 February 2011 at 11:34:00 #832191

Our family thought theMatterhorn and Zermatt were very special, but maybe not during high tourist season. We went in early Sept. and would love to go back. We took the cog railway up to Gornergrat to get a closer view.The schilthorn is also spectacular and so easy to access from Murren. Also loved Jungfrau but that was a much longer trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2011 at 3:07:41 #832192

thank you for your recommendations, Vlasta

• The thread ‘Schilthirn, Jungfrau, Matterhorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.