Afternoon Schilthorn excursion from Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2016 at 15:40:29 #809779

Thank you first of all for your recommendations on my previous questions about the overall itinerary. It was very helpful.

I have read the detailed suggestions and information on the Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch excursions. I am leaning towards allocating an entire day for Jungfraujoch rather than squeeze both of them on the same day. In order to accomplish that I will have to do Schilthorn on the same day as I arrive in Interlaken.

I will be arriving in Interlaken around 1PM (from Geneva). I would have liked to have the time to go to the hotel, check in but I don’t think I can do that now. So I am planning to leave my luggage at the station (lockers) and heading off straight for Lauterbrunnen.

The information indicated that it would take about 90 mins each way from Interlaken and that I should expect to spend about an hour at least at Schilthorn. Q: Would leaving from Interlaken Ost at 2PM allow for enough time to do this excursion? I would like to follow the recommendation and go up via Stechelberg / Gimmelwald and return via Grutschalp. I have purchased the Swiss Travel Pass as well.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2016 at 16:51:25 #854677

In terms of doing both on the same day, it seems this could be a possible plan …

Leave Interlaken Ost for Jungfraujoch ~ 07:30 … Arrive in Jungfraujoch ~09:50. Spend about 2.5 hours there.

Leave Jungfraujoch at 12:30 … Arrive in Lauterbrunnen at 14:21 and proceed onward to Shilthhorn via Stechelberg.

Again this would only work if my previous question on leaving Interlaken Ost at 2PM would allow for a reasonable Shilthorn excursion.

We’re from Canada so playing in the snow / ice sculptures etc aren’t a priority (I think so … but the kids might disagree :)). Focus would be on enjoying the cable car / gondola / train rides and taking in the scenery.

Arno
    15483 posts
    31 July 2016 at 8:41:12 #854678

Hi Weetea,

Both options would work. Indeed it takes about 90 minutes to reach the Schilthorn from Interlaken. The cable car operates until 8:25 PM in summer, so you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy the views. It’s less frequent from 4 PM, so be sure to check the timetable for exact departure times.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2016 at 13:12:07 #854679

Thanks Arno.

After posting, I noticed some trip reports that highlighted the value in taking it a bit slow and enjoying intermediate places like Murren, Gimmelwald and Birg as well along the way.

So I think we will try to do that and not rush too much just to the destination. So I’m currently leaning towards doing Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch on separate days and skipping Lucerne altogether.

markvw
    Participant
    8 posts
    31 July 2016 at 15:13:21 #854680

Hello Weetea,

We arrived three weeks ago at 1 pm at Interlaken, had to wait an hour at the mobile home before we could leave (by car) for our trip to Schilthorn. But we had enough time to go up and enjoy the beautiful views, drink something, the skyline walk (two times) and the 007 “museum”. We did not spent much time in the intermediate places but when the cable cars operate untill 8.25 pm. it will be no problem to take a look overthere. At first it was not my plan to do this direct after our arrival, but the weather forecast “forced” us and I have no regrets at all!!

Enjoy your trip!

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2016 at 21:23:44 #854681

Thanks Mark.

I will keep that as an option for the day we get in … would be nice to save ourselves a day and use it to the visit Lucerne area as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 August 2016 at 7:46:04 #854682

It is always hard to choose between staying at a base and exploring close by, or, seeing something different that requires significant travel. Happily, in Switzerland, the train trips themselves are part of the pleasure. The route between Luzern and Interlaken, via the Brunig Pass (part of the GoldenPass routes) , has some nice views.

If you choose Luzern, you will find very different experience compared to the Bernese Oberland, and the lake can play a significant role in that.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Afternoon Schilthorn excursion from Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.