School Trip – May 3

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2011 at 11:10:48 #804202

Greetings – I direct our annual senior class trip to Europe. Traditionally during our visit to Luzern we have taken a day to visit Mt. Pilatus. I want to change things up and visit Lauterbrunnen Valley and surrounding areas to view the Alps in this region. I need advice for a day trip down there on May 3rd. Can someone tell me if the special cog train that runs from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald and back be operating at this time? if so, what is the cost? If not, is Mannlichen Gipfel accessible at all and how? In a nutshell, what would you all advise be the best thing for us to do for the day in this area with 12 seniors? I’m open to some hiking that would only involve walking no more than an hour or so to take in the best views (if possible?). We would be driving in with two 8-passenger vans from Luzern. Thanks in advance for your replies.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2011 at 13:12:06 #832492

just to clarify — I mean seniors in high school, not senior citizens. thanks.

Annika
    7103 posts
    5 April 2011 at 8:20:04 #832493

Hi mmbacad, and welcome! The Lauterbrunnen valley is absolutely beautiful, and it’s definitely worth spending a day there when staying in Lucerne. Yes, the cog railway to Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald will be open. The cable car to the Männlichen won’t be operating yet. Timetables and fares can be found at the Jungfrau Railways website. A round trip allowing you to get some of the best views could look like this:

– from Lauterbrunnen, get up to Grütschalp. Take the short and easy scenic hike to Mürren (about 1h30) or get there by train. Next, get down again to Stechelberg by cable car, or walk to Gimmelwald (the intermediate stop between Mürren and Stechelberg) and get on the cable car there;
    – take the bus from Stechelberg back to Lauterbrunnen. Or alternatively, walk back to Lauterbrunnen (about 1h45) through the valley;
    – get up to Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg by cog railway;
    – get down to Grindelwald by cog railway;
    – travel back from Grindelwald to Lucerne via Zweilütschinen, Interlaken and Meiringen, over the Brünig pass.

This itinerary would result in a long travel day of course. If you leave early (say around 7 am), you could get back to Lucerne at 6pm or 7pm, depending on how much time you’d like to spend on hiking, enjoying the views, and so on. If it’s too much, you can skip part of the plan and concentrate on either the Lauterbrunnen valley or the Kleine Scheidegg trip. It’s hard to choose, as is such a beautiful region!

The Jungfrau Railways timetable and the general Swiss timetable can be used to find out about connections and travelling times. Our day trip overview of the Bernese Oberland, and especially the roundabout tours that are described, may provide further tips.

I hope this will help you plan your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2011 at 11:51:56 #832494

Thank you, Annika! This is very helpful. I have one more question regarding snow during the first week of May…will most of the walking trails around Kleine Scheidegg still be covered mostly with snow, or will we be able to walk around a bit up there?

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 April 2011 at 14:18:24 #832495

Hello mmbacad,

There’s a fair chance that there will be too much snow around Kleine Scheidegg for hiking. You could be lucky, but you should be prepared to pick a trail at a lower altitude.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2011 at 18:51:30 #832496

I remember when I was with my school holiday in Lauterbrunnen I was very impressed with the visit to the waterfalls inside the mountain at the top end of the Lauterbrunnen valley. My memory is a little hazy now as it was 57 years ago,but I think it was a name like Trumblebech Falls .I’m sure wherever you go in this beautiful area you will wish to return and see sights you did’nt have time to see ,so enjoy and you will remember this for the rest of your life as I do. J.M.J. England.

• The thread ‘School Trip – May 3’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.