Seat reservation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2011 at 5:22:38 #804162

Hi,

I am a first time traveler to Switzerland – traveling from Mumbai (India) between 12th and 19th May with my husband. I am planning to buy and 8 day saver pass with free 1st class upgrade option. I have been reading a lot about seat reservation and am not sure if it applies to my itinerary.

I will reach Zurich airport on day 1 and take the train to Lucerne – stay there for 3 days (covering Titlis, Pilatus, local sighthseeing etc.).

On day 4, I travel from Lucerne to Lugano for another 3 days and wish to take the lake cruise, light hiking, Bellaggio/Menaggio, parks etc. Any suggestions on sightseeing options in Lugano are welcome.

Day 7 back to Zurich for a day and day 8 departure to Mumbai.

1. Given my itinerary above, I wish to understand if I need to reserve seats on any of the train routes I plan to take (including excursion from Lucerne to Titlis).
    2. How do I buy the pass to Titlis online? Can I buy it in conjunction with my swiss pass? Do I save money by doing so?
    3. Any sightseeing suggestions in Lucerne and Lugano? I want a relaxed holiday. Have decided on Titlis excursion so far. Everything else need to be planned.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    18 March 2011 at 9:11:14 #832322

Hello kanchan! As long as you’ll be using regular trains only, you don’t have to reserve seats for the trips you mention. Seat reservation is only required for special panoramic trains and trains crossing the border from or to neighbouring countries. But if you plan to travel from Lucerne to Lugano by the Wilhelm Tell Express, you should reserve seats in advance, as a special panoramic train is involved here. Reservation can be arranged for through the Wilhelm Tell Express web page I just linked to, or by sending an e-mail to the address mentioned on our seat reservation page. Of course you can also choose to travel to Lugano using regular trains. The Swiss timetable will help you compose your itinerary.

As for tickets to the Titlis: that question has already been answered in your other post.

This topic may help you gather more information on sightseeing in Lucerne. I’m not very familiar with the Lugano area, but the Lugano Tourism website will help you out here.

• The thread ‘Seat reservation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.