Seat reservation Bernina/Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2016 at 11:03:21 #809645

Hi I have the following qns:

1. I need to reserve seats for Bernina express and glacier express- which are the best website to do this? I’m traveling in September.

2. Can I reserve seats before purchasing the Swiss travel pass? My husband’s passport number will change so can’t purchase the Swiss travel pass yet so can I reserve the seats before purchasing the Swiss travel pass for him?

Greatly appreciate your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 July 2016 at 11:15:53 #853965

Hi msrajey,

1. Suggested websites can be found here (also check the “More on other websites” section):

2. Yes you can, that’s no problem.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2016 at 12:05:01 #853966

Thank you very much for the immediate reply!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2016 at 7:17:19 #853967

Hi Arno,

Just curious, for glacier express there is a glacier express website which allows seat reservations too and the price is lower… hence, not sure if the rail Europe website, where the seat reservation is more expensive, includes meals as well? How do I find out this? or is the glacier express website better? is there a reason why rail Europe website is suggested?:

http://www.glacierexpress.ch/ EN/timetable_tickets/R eservations/Pages/defa ult.aspx

For bernina express, can I use this site: http://www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travelcards/bernina-express-booking?

Are seat reservations in the form of print out tickets or will have to be mailed?

Apologies for the multiple questions..

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 July 2016 at 9:09:01 #853968

Hi msrajey,

The pages I referred to mention both options to book seats. Many people need a rail pass too so in that case it makes sense to buy reservations and passes together, via Rail Europe or elsewhere. If not, the Glacier/Bernina Express site is fine as well. A reservation is the same thing regardless of where you buy it. If they include a meal it should clearly say so. Whether it’s a print or physical ticket depends on where you buy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2016 at 7:38:56 #853969

Hi Arno, is there a big difference between the Glacier Express and the regular train for the section of Andermatt to Zermatt? I hesitate to book in advance as we cannot firm on the time . Is it not allowed to board the GEX at all if no seat reservation? Can we pay at the spot ?

Thanks for helping again, Karen

Annika
    7104 posts
    26 July 2016 at 19:18:22 #853970

Hi Karen,

The route will be the exact same, but you’ll be traveling in regular regional trains that are a bit less luxurious. Moreover, you’ll have to change trains at least once (in Visp) whereas the Glacier Express is a direct train. Please refer to “Regular trains versus Glacier Express” at http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress. Advance seat reservations for the Glacier Express are obligatory and you’re not allowed to pay for them once you board the train: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/tickets. You can try to make last minute reservations at a railway station, but if you’re traveling in high season chances of fully booked trains are quite high. If your itinerary allows for it, it might be the best solution to catch an earlier train towards Andermatt, to make sure you’re able to catch the Glacier Express there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2016 at 4:27:57 #853971

Hi Annika, thanks for the advice that we can still reserve at the station. We plan to go from Lugano to Zermat on Sep 29 , stopover Bellinzona for a couple of hours , then continue to Andermatt for change of train , hopefully to catch GEX schedule for Zermatt , is it still peak season ? I know we are taking chances if we do not reserved in advance

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 July 2016 at 16:07:05 #853972

It’s not peak season but the Glacier Express is quite popular. But if you can’t get seats there are regular trains as well, so really not much of a risk.

• The thread ‘Seat reservation Bernina/Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.