Lauterbrunnen and Zermatt good base towns mid May?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2017 at 13:21:48 #810586

hello everyone

me along with my wife would be exploring Switzerland during second week of may 2017

we have decided to have 2 base ( 4 nights at Lauterbrunnen and 2 nights at Zermatt )

after that we move towards Venice for our next base

are the 2 base selected by us perfect to do all the scenic trip related to each base

please advice

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2017 at 17:19:04 #858096

Hi Hindocha,

Have a look at our Lauterbrunnen and Zermatt information pages to see what things there are to see and do in the area.

Do you have specific sights and activities you want to see and do? Once we have that answer we can better guide you on the best areas to base yourself in.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 January 2017 at 1:51:08 #858097

Hi Hindocha –

In addition to Lucas’ comments, the trails in the alps above Lauterbrunnen will be full of snow. Hiking would be a problem. Train to Jungfrau runs all year.

What do you hope to do while in Lauterbrunnen?

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

Slowpoke

Balan214
    Participant
    17 posts
    17 January 2017 at 2:45:56 #858098

I too will be there in May, Lauterbrunnen will be one of my bases for a 9 day trip, the other being Lucerne. As the other asked, what are your plans for the jungfrau region? For me I’m hitting all the spots around Lauterbrunnen. Murren, Shilithorn, Wengen, jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, Lake Thun. I do plan on on a day trip to Zermatt towards the end of the trip.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 January 2017 at 2:58:11 #858099

Hi Balan214-

<“For me I’m hitting all the spots around lauterbrunnen. Murren, shilithorn, Wengen, jungfraujoch, grindelwald, Lake thun. “>>

if you use the timetable, or in conversation with the locals, it is good to get the spellings right:

Mürren, Schilthorn…

By the way, Lake Thun ( der Thunersee) is actually the low spot ( altitude) of those listed. 😉 Obviously, Jungfraujoch is the highest.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 6:45:23 #858100

lucas , slowpoke

thanks a lot for replying my queries

from Lauterbrunnen i am thinking to cover Jungfrau , schilthorn , Mürren , lake thun

from Zermatt i will love to do glacier express , ride to cogwheel to gornergrat

though i would be missing mt . titlis and boat ride at lake lucerne

is there any other base option from where we would be able to cover all the spot mentioned above along with mt.titlis and lake lucerne

we are there for maximum 6 nights

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 8:41:15 #858101

Hi Hindocha,

Interlaken may be a bit more central for going between the Luzern (local German spelling) area and the Jungfrau region.

You can’t do everything unfortunately. I’m sure you would be satisfied staying in Lauterbrunnen to visit Jungfrau, schilthorn, Mürren and lake Thun. However if you decide to go to Luzern for a day due to weather or other reasons you can still get there easily from Lauterbrunnen.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 January 2017 at 9:31:41 #858102

Hi Hindocha-

The lake boat schedule on the Thunersee ( Lake Thun) changes from the limited Spring Schedule to the Summer schedule on May 13th:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2017/3310.pdf

On and after May 13th, there are a few runs with a steam powered boat (das Dampfshiff)

To learn more about travel possibilities between cities, you can use the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Please read the instruction page at that link.

The timetable covers all means of public transport…trains, boats, ships, and the pages linked above are copied from the printed timetable book.

To more easily understand the boat schedule on Lake Lucerne, you can also use:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Look under seasonal time tables. Note the change in schedules on May 25th.

There a link to a simplified map near the bottom of the page. The dots represent ship landings. There are several routes for the lake boats. Not all landings are reached on every trip. There are more routes available in the Summer schedule, on and after May 25th.

A useful map for planning travel by public transport is:

map.search.ch/?pos=680700,206724&z=64 &poi=haltestelle,mobil ity,zug

If you zoom in far enough, as I have done, you can see the train lines. In the menus, under “Points of Interest, Transport” you can turn on icons for the transport stops. It does not seem to show ship landings. But, you can zoom out to get an idea of the distances and train routes between cities. Turn of the transport stops if you wish. As you zoom out, there are too many blue dots on the map otherwise.

In theory, you can do all of the things you list, but that requires an elastic definition of the word “cover.” You could cut back in the Bernese Oberland and spend some time at Luzern. (Note that he region is German-speaking, so that is the spelling you will see on signs. Also, in German, Lake Lucerne is called “der Vierwaldstättersee” which means “the lake of the four forest cantons.”) Also, if you reduce your days in the Jungfrau region, you run the risk of not having a clear day, free of clouds ( at least at high altitude) to go up to the Jungfrau.

Most first time travelers find that the combination of Luzern and the Jungfrau region gives them more options for bad weather and to see/do different kinds of things.

You can check this link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

You would do a lot of traveling, and, in most cases, spend little time at each location. In one sense, the timing of your trip helps….many tourist activities in the Jungfrau region only become available on May 25th. For your specific interests, public transport or excursion cograil trains to Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch are available all year long. Their may be a seasonal gap in the schedules for Schilthorn (I don’t remember when that is;check the timetable on your preferred dates) , but Mürren is always accessible by at least one of the two routes from Lauterbrunnen.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

This map may be useful to give an overview of the region:

http://www.swissholidayco.com /Public/Assets/User/fi les/Map-of-Jungfrauregion1.jpg

I don’t know about schedules at Zermatt; the timetable can help there, as well.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2017 at 7:56:34 #858103

slowpoke

indeed its great to have such an expert like you

thanks for all the details you posted

would sure go through them thoroughly

as i would advance either towards venice or salzsburg is my base at zermatt ok

please advice

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 January 2017 at 10:21:28 #858104

Hi Hindocha-

Glad to help.

<<“as i would advance either towards venice or salzsburg is my base at zermatt ok”>>

You can certainly reach those cities from Zermatt. The timetable will show you the fastest routes.

Please use the map (mapsearch) that I linked above, and search for Zermatt.

That will allow you to see where it is in Switzerland, and after you look at the timetable, to see what roues are suggested.

Please use the timetable, linked above, enter Zermatt as your starting point and Venice or Salzburg as destinations.

After the time table returns a list of 4 journeys at and/or near your selected time, click on the “+” to the left of each journey. You will get the details of the journey, showing intermediate cities and changes of trains.

For both destinations, it is technically possible to use at least a small part of the Glacier Express or other regular trains along the same route to get to those cities as you leave Zermatt. .it would be a very small part….only as far as Brig or Visp from Zermatt. It is even possible to use much slower and more roundabout routes including more of the Glacier Express to Italy, through the Alps via Brig and Göschenen and then the Gotthard Pass to Italy.

The timetable may route you through Brig and Milano ( for Venice) or through Zürich and Munich (München) (for Salzburg). Another main route to Milano would run from Zürich or Luzern, via the Gotthard pass.

Some of the train routes that show on the map are mountain railroads and are slower than the longer routes on main-line tracks. I will leave it up to you to study those routes and learn about times. That will help you to become familiar with the timetable, which will be very useful as you contemplate travel to/from your possible bases. It will help you learn about travel to Zermatt from any other base city.

The timetable can help you; you can experiment with different intermediate stops ( “via” or “connections”) to force the timetable to give you different routes.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen and Zermatt good base towns mid May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.