Need confirmation have decided on best rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2015 at 13:27:30 #808182

Excellent information on your site, many thanks. We are 2 adults and one 15 year old in Switzerland for a week.

12/12 arrive in Interlaken at night – already have TGV Lyria tickets

13/12 Travel to Grindewald ( 11 CHF per person)

Have 6 nights in Grindewald and plan the following journeys

Grindewald to Lauterbrunnen return (18 CHF pp)

lauterbrunnen to schilthorn (112 pp)

Grindewald to Wengen (53 pp)

19/12 Grindewald to Zurich (80 CHF per person)

Zurich to Innsbruck- have rail jet ticket already

A four consequetive day Swiss pass would cost 251 per adult but 15 year old free

A four day Flexi pass a bit more again

a half price card (120 +6.50+9+67+26+40) 268 and the child travels free or 50per cent off mountainrailway

if paid full fare (274) and no free child travel. I,m pretty sure we won’t go uf the jungfrau, just the schlthorn, but with the half price card would get 50 per cent off. So with this itinerary, do you think the right choice is two Swiss half fare cards and the 15 year old is mainly free except mountain railways. Many thanks for your help, I have been trying to work this out for months really and we arrive in just two days. I would purchase whatever rail pass you suggest at Interlaken Ost rail station. Imogen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 December 2015 at 17:25:02 #847200

Hi Imogen, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

I’m glad to hear you like our website! With the situation as it is right now I indeed recommend two Swiss Half Fare Cards. The Swiss Family Card allows the 15 year old to travel along for free everywhere, mountain railways included.

For your information, normally I would have recommended this:

• Two Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi's and a Swiss Family Card. This includes the rides from the border to Grindelwald, and from Grindelwald to the other border. Also it provides a 50% discount on other trips, just like the Swiss Half Fare Card;
    • This would have saved you money on the TGV Lyria and RailJet tickets as the Swiss legs of those trips are included in the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi;
    • Also I would have recommended to buy online, as prices are a bit lower there.

The full explanation on how to pick the best pass (best savings) can be found here.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Need confirmation have decided on best rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.