send luggage to next train station – next day?

• imnew
    Participant
    4 posts
    13 April 2015 at 10:38:07 #807076

I planning to send my luggage from Zurich (18 Apr) to Lausanne & pick it up the next day (19 Apr) using “Baggage Switzerland” from train station.

However, when I checked the SBB website (sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/ baggage/baggage-switzerland.html), it says “the day after next”:

For Swiss domestic travel, you register your luggage until 7 p.m., and you collect it after 9 a.m. on the day after next.

So does it means if I sent it on 18 Apr before 7 pm, I only get to pick it up on 20 April (day after next) ? or 19 Apr.

Someone recently used the service Please kindly advise. Thanks a lot.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 April 2015 at 11:25:15 #842452

Hi imnew,

You can use the Fast Baggage Service and collect your luggage the same day from 6 PM if you hand it in before 11 AM: sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/ baggage/fast-baggage.html.

imnew
    Participant
    4 posts
    14 April 2015 at 4:52:01 #842453

Dear Arno, thx for the reply. I did not ask clearly. I dont want to use Fast Baggage. I want to get my luggage back the next day, but from the website info, I worry that I only get the luggage back the day after tomorrow.

Furthermore, is there a deadline (say 7 pm) that I have to pick up my luggage the next day?

thx,

imnew

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 April 2015 at 6:18:04 #842454

<<“I dont want to use Fast Baggage. “>>

Why don’t you want to use Fast Baggage?

As far as I can tell from the SBB web site, you have two choices, and only two choices:

1. – Fast ( same day.)

2.- “Regular” ( day after next.)

If you use either service, your baggage goes to the “Left Luggage ” room or a similar place at the receiving station. It will stay there until you pick it up…not forever, of course, but certainly for several days.

There is a per day fee per bag for using the “Left Luggage” capability, or the baggage lockers at the various stations when you simply leave your baggage for a while. I don’t know if they would charge it in addition to the fee for shipping your bag, but I suspect they would. You might – but I don’t know this, and I rather doubt it – get a day or so of free storage. But, surely, if you leave a bag for a long while, they would expect you to pay for the storage service.

I hope Arno knows some way to avoid paying for storage. That would be nice.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 April 2015 at 6:21:44 #842455

Arno said:

<<“if you hand it in before 11 AM: sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/ baggage/fast-baggage.html.”>>

When I read that link, it says before 9 AM. Have they improved the service?

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 April 2015 at 6:30:17 #842456

Hi,

@imnew: the info from Slowpoke is correct, these are the options you have. You don’t have to pick it up the same day. The next day is fine too, or even later. They will store it for free for four days after the arrival day. After that you’d pay CHF 5 per day.

@Slowpoke: 9 AM is the standard time to hand in luggage, but if you click the link below that text, you can search for details on a specific connection. Zurich to Lausanne is a faster one.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 April 2015 at 7:21:43 #842457

<<” 9 AM is the standard time to hand in luggage, but if you click the link
    below that text, you can search for details on a specific connection.
    Zurich to Lausanne is a faster one.”>>

Arno-

Thanks.

Good to know. I’ll have to check that whenever i am going between main stations.

Were you riding Swiss trains back in the 1980’s? In those days your bag was checked right onto the train that you were riding on. I really liked that service; too bad they chose to discontinue it. Probably, it requires too much staff time at the last minute.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 April 2015 at 16:14:31 #842458

I only used Swiss trains from the 1990’s. The service you described sounds wonderful, but I can see how it’s more efficient for them to move luggage collecting to the left luggage office at the station. Still a great service though.

• The thread ‘send luggage to next train station – next day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.