Ship luggage SBB-must have ticket for entire route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2016 at 3:44:22 #809777

Per the MySwissAlps “Basic Luggage Service” section it seems that I can ship luggage from Zurich to Montreux, then hike to Montreux and retrieve my luggage (with fees, all of which seem reasonable). However the SBB.CH site states “If you wish to check in luggage, you must have a valid ticket for the entire transport route“. Is the SBB restriction enforced? I will train to Sargans and potentially some intermediate stops, but not the entire route. THANKS for your help.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage/luggage.html

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 July 2016 at 14:20:40 #854659

Hi TomQtraveler,

Personally I’ve only used the service occasionally while traveling with a rail pass. In other words: they could not check where I was going either; they only knew I had a pass to travel. Hiking part of the way is a pretty common thing to do for many tourists. I don’t think it should be a problem. Just show them your ticket for the first leg of your trip, and explain about your plans if they ask further questions. I would be very surprised if this turns out to be a problem. I think they just want to prevent drivers to drop their luggage and not paying for any train tickets.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    30 July 2016 at 20:59:39 #854660

In 2012 we hiked the entire Alpine Pass Route (Sargans to Montreux) and used SBB luggage service the entire way. We picked up our bags every fourth day, then checked them again to our next destination the next morning. We had Half Fare Cards and told them what we were doing. Never had a problem. I think the SBB website also says that you have to have a ticket for the entire route OR an annual pass. Although the HFC is a 30 day tourist pass it is usually considered the same thing as a resident annual pass with just a different validity period.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 July 2016 at 23:36:31 #854661

<<“I think the SBB website also says that you have to have a ticket for the entire route OR an annual pass.”>>

Hi Kim-

The process has always worked for me if I had a Swiss Travel Pass (or equivalent).

That is the same as having a ticket.

Once tried it with my HalbTax, to pick up luggage at Samedan, after I came in from Val Venosta in Austria, on a journey started in Zürich.

It worked.

And, I agree that it should work., even with a ticket that only starts you on the journey. Would be wise to have some kind of ticket to show them, I suspect.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2016 at 13:45:42 #854662

Hi Kim11, Arno and Slowpoke and thanks to you all. Kim11 you are correct, my original quote from the SBB site was clipped, in whole it states “If you wish to check in luggage, you must have a valid ticket for the entire transport route or an annual travelcard.” We hope to follow a similar approach to yours except shipping the bags one-time from Zurich to the final point of our hike. Made much easier since we’ll pay for food and lodging along the route.

We purchased the HFC cards so sounds like we will be in good shape.

We leave on Friday, I’ll post a trip report on our return, THANKS AGAIN!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 July 2016 at 14:29:59 #854663

Hi Tom-

I’m the cautious type. I ‘d suggest that you have the ticket for your first leg of your train trip in your pocket when you turn in your luggage, just in case, as well as the HFC.

Have a great trip. That luggage shipment service is a good deal. Helps prevent sore backs.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2016 at 15:26:42 #854664

Hi

When we sent our luggage from St. Moritz to Thun, we showed our Swiss Travel Pass at the station and they were happy with that. I had the confirmation of our seat reservations on the Glacier Express with me as well but because of pass didn’t need tickets for the ride or the last leg from Brig to Thun. The STP was what mattered.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 July 2016 at 15:36:48 #854665

Hi Maggie…I agree about an STP.

Tom has a Half Fare Card, which might not strictly fit the definition of an “annual” pass or an STP.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2016 at 19:10:34 #854666

Hi

I just travelled from Interlaken west to zermatt today and left my luggage at Interlaken under the express luggage service. They did not seem bothered about whether or not I had a ticket. I was traveling on a STP but the lady at the counter did not ask to see it or even if I had one.

The service itself was pretty convenient and the luggage even reached zermatt a good hour before the time it was scheduled to! Really helped us as we had about 4-5 changes incl a leg on the glacier express. Thanks to Arno for suggesting this to me in another post!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 July 2016 at 20:01:47 #854667

Thanks for the feedback.

The system is very useful when you have a lot of changes.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2016 at 9:24:15 #854668

hello everyone,

Could anyone please help me knowing the price for transferring the luggage from lucerne to interlaken? or zurich to interlaken? how much it cost under express service and 48 hours service? i have a 23 kg bag.

I surfed most of the sites, but couldn’t come across a valid price. As seen in one of the website, does dropping the luggage in the train station actually cost 1 chf per minute?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 August 2016 at 12:35:07 #854669

Hi Qudsiya-

The information you seek is in the timetable:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage.html

There are different services with different speeds and final delivery options.

The cheapest is 12 CHF per piece, delivery to a station the morning of the second day. Max 25 kg per piece.

The rate you saw is for making a toll telephone call.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 August 2016 at 19:28:58 #854670

Lockers at the station cost CHF 9 or less for 24 hours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2016 at 14:04:19 #854671

When I was reading the luggage link, a bit confusing. For example, if you drop your luggage at Interlaken by 09:00 am and collect after 6:00 p.m at Lucerne, do we need to pay the express shipping of 36 on top of 12 for same day collection since these stations are not too far. The express luggage option says 12 plus shipping 36 (the additional shipping applies for every transaction?, need clarfication when the shipping applies and whne not for express luggage) ..Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 August 2016 at 15:05:48 #854672

Hi Chandra,

Same day delivery requires express shipping, which costs CHF 30 + CHF 12 per item, so at least CHF 42. The distance does not matter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2016 at 15:39:35 #854673

We sent 2 suitcases from St. Moritz to Thun at a cost of 12chf each plus 30chf for same day delivery so 54chf altogether – only one payment of 30chf covered both cases.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2016 at 16:29:46 #854674

Thank you Arno and Maggie for the information

• The thread ‘Ship luggage SBB-must have ticket for entire route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.