Shopping for watches and bags

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2010 at 0:50:55 #804674

Hi, this is regarding shoppings. Hope you could give some great recommendations.

Shopping for Watches/Clocks/Bags: Where can I get watches, cuckoo clocks at good pricing (means not mark up and targeted at tourists dollar) ? Watches in mind are Rolexes, Tag Heuers. Bags in mind are Louis Vuitton (LV). Other items like Swiss knifes.

The likely places I pass by maybe Lucerne, Lugano, St Moritz, Interlaken OST/West, Andermatt, Zurich, Zermatt, Paris. Perhaps nearby Basel main train station.

Unfortunately, I did not go Geneva. However if recommendation is very strong, I can try to go there.

VAT questions: What do I need to pay attention pertaining to VAT claims ? I know the best is that the shop on the spot provide VAT rebate, if not, how and where I do the claim and collecting them. If it is alright to do it in this forum, please advice me on the VAT claiming for Paris purchase as well.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 June 2010 at 10:26:53 #834131

Hi Libbis!

I don’t have personal experience with duty free shopping and VAT refunds, but I do have some information and links that may help you out bit:

• shopping for cuckoo clocks, watches and other similar products is possible in Lucerne, Lugano, St. Moritz, Interlaken, Zurich, Zermatt and Basel. Andermatt is very small. There are shops in the city centres and sometimes close to or at the railway station as well. Examples are the railway station of Lucerne, Zurich and Basel;
    • duty free shopping can be done at Swiss airports, such as Zurich, Basel and (although you probably won’t get there) Geneva;
    • in case you’ll be flying in or out with Swiss Air: they offer a duty free shopping catalogue from which you can pick items during your flight;
    • rules on the import and export of goods can be found on the website of the Swiss customs;
    • information on the refund of tax is available at the website of Global Traveller.

I’m afraid I can’t help you out for Paris. Maybe other travellers can! I hope this gets you started.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2011 at 14:09:37 #834132

You must make sure, to mention the vat tax refund thing in the stores- not all stores participate–
    they have a special form right there in the store, that needs to be filled in by the store and then presented together with that merchandise at the refund center.
    It is complicated and time-consuming–might be worth it for large purchases– will not work without this form. And just presenting receipts without the merchandise will not work.

• The thread ‘Shopping for watches and bags’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.