Souvenir shopping in Lucerne and station lockers

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 19:25:06 #812410

hi

its been four fantastic days in Switzerland. No wonder it is called paradise on earth.

I have two questions:

1.Where should we do shopping? I mean some nice souvenirs at a reasonable price, maybe some chocolates and Swiss watches? I have seen a few stores, things seem to be quite costly here.

2. What is the duration for which lockers are allotted on the railway stations? Can we keep luggage overnight? If yes- what’s the approximate cost for a locker and how much luggage can one locker accommodate?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 June 2017 at 1:41:54 #865770

Hi Mickey-

Regarding lockers –

check this link…scroll down – to

“Equipment and Mobility” then scroll down some more after you open that link.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/lucerne-station.html

This thread may help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/luzern-station-lockers-availability-in-july

I’m not sure what the duration is, but it will be at least 24 hours. In the past, it was longer, but, whatever, if you exceed the limit, they remove the contents and keep them at the “Left luggage” ( Baggage) office.

<<“I mean some nice souvenirs at a reasonable price, maybe some chocolates and Swiss watches? I have seen a few stores, things seem to be quite costly here.”>>

<<“paradise on earth.”>>

Those two ideas are related. ;-(

You are in a main center of tourism in Switzerland. Expect costs to be high, even higher than the rest of Switzerland. Luzern gets a lot of people who will pay whatever is necessary…that does not lead to cheap prices.

The efficient communication network further assures that prices around the

country do not vary a lot…at least at main tourist centers.

I’m afraid that I have no good answer to where to go that is cheaper.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 June 2017 at 6:36:21 #865771

Hi Mickey,

Souvenir shops all offer identical prices for identical items from my experience. Some supermarkets like COOP and Migros have a section with “Swiss products” that are affordable. Some of those might not even be an “official” souvenirs but rather party supplies for the Swiss National Day on August 1. But they may serve the purpose 🙂 That’s where I purchased Swiss mugs once. They sell affordable chocolates as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2017 at 15:12:47 #865772

Hi

Just for information of others.

As Arno said, the souveniers are available at identical prices everywhere, however the small shop near Lake Lucerne opposite the bus station gave us things (bell, soft toys, fridge magnets) at a cheaper price than others.

Also for the chocolates – the Lindt shop in travel museum gives you things at a MUCH (sorry – its to emphasise, not sound loud!) better price. The 1 kg bag of assorted chocolates available elsewhere for 72 CHF costs only 49CHF! Chocolates costing 5.75 CHF per 100g on the airport were 4.75CHF here. But the lady who billed our chocolates charged us 10 CHF extra and I had to make an extra trip all the way back to get the refund! So please do check whether the available offers have been applied while billing.

Hope this helps!

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 June 2017 at 15:15:02 #865773

Thanks for those useful tips Mickey!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 June 2017 at 1:07:35 #865774

Hi Mickety-

Thanks for the pointers.

<<” Chocolates costing 5.75 CHF per 100g on the airport were 4.75CHF here. “>>

A few years ago, Lindt and Sprüngli developed a line of chocolates that they seem to sell only at the airport. They are higher priced than those than are sold in the stores in downtown Zürich, and are frequently packaged with more “air” in the boxes, and less chocolate than the “standard” packaging.

I used to buy my “Swiss chocolates to take back to the relatives” at the airport on the way out.

Now I buy them the night before in Zürich, at Paradeplatz or in the main station.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Souvenir shopping in Lucerne and station lockers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.