Should I buy half fare card?? Pls advise

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2013 at 4:26:33 #805790

Hello, I will be arriving Zurich on 15/3/2013 and will be staying in Interlaken for 3 days, Lucerne 2 days and Zurich 5 days.
    From my own calculation, it’s worth for me to buy half fare card if I’m going to the below.

1. Jungfraujoch
    2. Cruise – Lake Thun or Lake Brienz
    3. Grindelwald/Gimmelwald
    4. Mt Pilatus
    5. Mt Titlis
    6. Bern
    7. Rhinefall/Schaffhausen etc etc

However, if the weather doesn’t permit me to go Jungfraujoch, should I still proceed to buy half fare card?

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 February 2013 at 14:18:52 #838061

Hi gsgoh! Looking at your plans, I’d say you should definitely use a rail pass. The Swiss Half Fare Card is a good option indeed, even if you won’t be visiting the Jungfraujoch I think. Mind that you may want to adapt your plans during your stay, and if you want to make longer trips than planned in advance, the discounts provides by a rail pass are definitely worth the investment.

If you’ve already made calculations, all you have to do is leave out the Jungfraujoch costs from your plans to see whether the Swiss Half Fare Card solution is still more economical. Regular costs can be found at mountain transportation websites and in the timetable, but make sure that you pick the regular full fares for a sound comparison here; if you pick a connection and click ‘Fare/Buy’, the 50% discounted price is displayed by default, as lots of Swiss residents own a rail pass allowing that discount. Only if you enter ‘Keine Ermässigung’ (= ‘No discount’) you’ll get to see the regular fares.

• The thread ‘Should I buy half fare card?? Pls advise’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.