Should I buy a travel pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2015 at 8:27:11 #807998

Hi Guys ,

First off thanks very much for all the help I got already on this site. You guys are doing an amazing job.

My itinerary is below for 3 nights and 4 days. So my main question is should I buy a travel pass for this itinerary or not ?

23 Oct – 11.15 -Land in Geneva

12.24 -take train to Montreux .

13:45 – Check into a hotel.

15:00- Take a vineyard trip or Take chocolate train or may be both.

Q 1.Want to know if this is possible to do both chocolate trip and vineyard trip by the day ends.

24 Oct-10:00 Take the Golden panoramic train

16:00 Catch a train to Engelberg.

16:45 – Check into Hotel Titlis Resort.

Go around a little or perhaps go around a little in Lucerne and then come to Engelberg to check in to hotel Still thinking of this –

Q2. What do you suggest ?

25 Oct – Head to Mout Titlis . Whole day trip .

26 Oct Head to Pilatus – Finish this by Noon Around 3 Pm.. And head to Airport to catch a flight at 8 Pm.

This my plan roughly. And my questions are

1. Do you reckon this is too hectic a plan ? Now , I am coming with a 1.5 yrs old child . Any quick suggestions here , apart from warm clothes and stuff.

2. I am spending 2 nights in Engelberg just to get the feel of staying between mountains Is there any other alternative for Engelberg to do this . Also another reason to stay here is I wanted to do both Pilatus and Titlis. So thought this would be ideal location.

3. Will there be snow during this time of the year in Engelberg ?

And the biggest question of all Should I buy a Travell Pass for this Itinerary , is it really worth ? And If I should , a 3 day one or a 4 day one ?

Any other quick suggestions ?

My main areas of interest are nature , scenic , mountains and a little bit of photography of mountains.

Thanks,

Gokul.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 September 2015 at 9:29:26 #846361

Welcome to MySwissAlps Gokul!

1. Most of your plan is certainly doable, except for taking the Chocolate Train. That’s a full day trip that starts early in the morning. You’d better stick to the vineyards or a boat trip that afternoon. The main risk of your itinerary is the weather, as you only stay short in each place. So the weather hopefully cooperates on those days. Please check our Titlis page for tips about taking children under 2 years old to such altitudes. Mount Pilatus won’t be a problem.

2. I think Engelberg makes sense in this case.

3. There won’t be snow in the village. It’s not impossible, but chances are very slim.

4. A rail pass will save you money. The Swiss Half Fare Card is probably your best bet money wise. Please see here to make sure you’ll be making the right choice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2015 at 15:30:32 #846362

Thanks much Annika . Great Help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2015 at 14:41:54 #846363

Hi

So I finally decided to buy Swiss travel flex pass for 3 days -23 , 24 & 26 as I will be in Engelberg on 25th and will not do much travel on that day except the trip to Mt Titlis top.

Now , I have seen another post from Arno about the 70 % off on Titlis and Pilatus trips for Swiss flex pass holders. Since my pass is not valid on 25th , Will I still get that discount since I hold the pass and It would be valid for another day ?

or

will it not apply since the pass is not valid on that particular day ? Is that how the flex card works , as in bonded to a date ?

Or if they are not date bound can I buy Titlis trip tickets online even before using the Flex pass ?

I know its ethically incorrect , but just checking if its actually possible and allowed !!

Thanks,

Gokul.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 October 2015 at 15:46:41 #846364

Hi Gokul,

I’d recommend to buy a regular Swiss Travel Pass. A Swiss Travel Pass Flex is more expensive per day, so there’s not much of a price difference. Plus, you won’t get discounts on the 25th. Unless you buy a Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi, but that’s even more expensive. You can find prices here:

As you can see there, the cheapest retailer in your case (Ireland) is ACP Rail: http://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/swiss-pass

The 70% off promo is not for European residents, officially. Although you can check http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-peak-promo-7406 and see if they ship to Ireland. They sell the Swiss Travel Pass too, for the same price as ACP. Note the shipping time of 8 business days; don’t wait too long if you prefer this option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2015 at 17:32:06 #846365

Arno -thanks a lot for the tip. I will buy the Swiss travel pass for all four days and finish it off.

1. Now another question is , is http://www.goldenpass.ch/en is the only place where I can buy the Golden pass line tickets or is there any other place ? That site is really very less helpful.

2. The site shows there are no places on the golden pass line from Montreux – Zweisimmen, does that mean I wont get a place to sit in the train or is that only those 6 VIP tickets are booked out ?I am looking for 24th Oct 9.44 am train.

Thanks,

Gokul

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 October 2015 at 18:52:01 #846366

You’re welcome Gokul.

You’ll have a Swiss Travel Pass, so you don’t need tickets. Seat reservations are not required either, except for the few VIP seats. Please see here: myswissalps.com/ goldenpass/tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2015 at 10:57:00 #846367

Hi Guys ,

Thanks for all you replies.

I am thinking of making one last minute adjustment.

1. Can I add a trip to Mt Rigi on 24th Oct ,after the Golden Pass train ? Is it doable ? (I would finish my Golden pass trip at around 16:00 the same day and will be in Lucerne ). Just a short trip to Rigi , watch sunset and back to Lucerne.

The reason I ask is , I have to reach Engelberg the same day as I stay there for the following 2 nights.

2.Its free for Swiss travel pass holders to take the ride up to rigi , right ?

Thanks ,

Gokul

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 October 2015 at 12:47:10 #846368

Hi Gokul,

1. It will be tight. Sunset is around 6:30 PM. If you take the next train to Arth-Goldau, and from there to Rigi Kulm, you’ll be there just in time. The timetable provides the details.

2. It’s indeed free: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Should I buy a travel pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.