Sightseeing during the Golden Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2016 at 20:16:39 #809964

Hi,

If i buy a pass for the golden express or eurail (not sure what type of pass to buy?), can i get down in between near interlaken? and then get back on the next train on the way to Montreax?

My husband and I will be travelling in the end of November. Any thoughts on how that train is during that time?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 August 2016 at 14:19:59 #855444

Hi lxs214,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! A Eurail Pass covers the entire Golden Pass line, as well as the Swiss Travel Pass. You don’t need to book trains in advance, so you can just board with either of these passes, get off the train wherever you want, and continue on the next train whenever you want.

The Golden Pass line is wonderful all year round, but it depends on the weather of the day. Low clouds or rain can obscure the views, so in such a case it’s less attractive.

Here’s more information:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2016 at 15:14:40 #855445

Oh! That is awesome!!

1. I read in a few places that if you take a 1st class Eurail pass, you will also have to do a seat reservation? Is that true?

2. Also where on the Golden Pass line would be the best place(s) to get off and sightsee and where would be a good place to spend a night?

Thank you so much for your help! This by far the best resource for getting our Switzerland trip planned!

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 August 2016 at 15:36:20 #855446

1. No, I have never heard of that. Please provide the links to pages claiming that, if possible. It’s the train that does or does not require reservations, not the type of rail pass you are using.

2. That really depends on your expectations. There aren’t many bigger towns along the route where one would actually stroll and watch for hours. Lucerne does offer that, and Montreux to a certain extend (nice boulevard, a castle nearby). Interlaken isn’t particularly pretty, but the surrounding area is. Spiez could be nice for one night (good lake views). Please check the links for additional details.

Thanks for your compliments!

• The thread ‘Sightseeing during the Golden Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.