Ski-ing in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2013 at 5:26:39 #806012

Good day to all travelers!

I am heading over to Europe at the end of the year and after reading this forum it helps me understand more on how to travel around switzerland! however i still have some questions to ask.

Firstly let me share with you my travel plan.

Munich – Zurich (rail) spend a couple days here.
    Zurich – Interlaken ost(rail) spend a day here
    Interlaken ost – Jungfraujoch (rail) explore for the afternoon
    Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald (rail) spend the night here. and ski the next day! last day here as well
    Grindelwald – zurich – paris Paris will be my next stop after switzerland.

So here are some questions that im not sure of.
    1. Base of my itinerary, should i get a swiss pass?
    2. i believe the interlaken to Jungfraujoch rail does not falls under the swiss pass and i have to purchase the tickets separately?
    3. Same as from Jungfraujoch to Grindelwald i need to purchase another ticket?
    4. To ski in grindelwald, i learnt that i need a lift pass or something. basically what are the procedures i need to ski in grindelwald?
    5. From grindelwald to paris, issit more feasible to travel by rail or by plane from zurich to paris?

I will greatly appreciated if anyone could help me with these few questions!

Thanks so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    24 May 2013 at 4:49:57 #838755

Hello ceedric.90! A Swiss Pass would be very convenient, especially if you plan to make day trips from Zurich as well. It allows you to get on and off board whenever and wherever you like. Whether it’s the most economical solution, can only be told if you make detailed calculations based on an exact list of your plans (including trips you may want to make in and near Zurich). Alternatives that might turn out to be a bit cheaper would be a 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass (using free travel days for Swiss border-Zurich, Zurich-Interlaken and Grindelwald-Zurich/Basel) or a Swiss Half Fare Card.

With a Swiss Pass, you’ll travel for free up to Wengen/Grindewald. The section between Wengen/Grindelwald and the Jungfraujoch is discounted by 25%, so you’ll have to buy a discounted ticket for Wengen (assuming you want to take this route on your way up)-Jungraujoch-Grindelwald. You can do so at the railway station of Interlaken upon showing your Swiss Pass. Please review the Swiss Pass page and download the validity map for all details.

As for your return journey: there are comfortable and direct train connections between Zurich and Paris, taking only 4 hours without check-in or customs procedures. They’re all listed in the timetable.

Ski pass prices are listed here.

• The thread ‘Ski-ing in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.