Skiing for beginners in Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 2:20:09 #812322

Hey there, you guys!

I can’t start this new thread without thanking you all for all your previous pieces of advice and information. It really made me revisit my original schedule and helped me figure out how to make the most out of my trip to Switzerland.

Now, during my stay in Zermatt I’m planning to try skiing for the first time ever, I assume the Snowpark is the best (and only?) place to do so. Could I give it a try without having to book a class? I mean, it’s not like I would go for anything too risky either since I dont even know snow to begin with.

Regardless of what you could hire there, is there anything in terms of clothing I should bring with me?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 12:34:31 #865385

Hi Gasdev,

I wouldn’t try skiing for the first time without taking lessons first – it is easy to injure yourself if you don’t know how to turn or stop :). I would recommend taking a lesson first.

The snow park is for advanced skiers and snowboarders so I wouldn’t go there!

Have a look at the Zermatt information page for more details. That website also has weather temperatures listed as well. Be prepared for anywhere from 0 to 20 degrees in the summer. As a beginner I would be well prepared to spend time in the snow! Snow pants and a waterproof coat and layers underneath in case you get too hot or cold. Also of course good gloves and goggles or sun glasses.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 21:15:43 #865386

Lucas, thanks for your reply.

Where would you suggest going? I am pretty fit so I wouldnt want to end up in a kids/way too basic class eventhough I have never ever done it. Classes are in group or private?

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 June 2017 at 5:09:36 #865387

Hi Gasdev,

You’d normally take a week of lessons to learn how to ski. If you just want to give it a try, one or two private lessons can be a good way to start: http://www.viator.com/tours/Z ermatt/Zermatt-Beginner-Ski-Experience/d5014-14343P27. These lessons are offered in winter as snow conditions are less ideal in summer, but I’m sure you can book a private instructor locally at any time of the year.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Skiing for beginners in Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.