Skiing Swiss Alps in December?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2011 at 14:41:26 #804709

Hi there,
    I am trying to plan a trip (possibly to Zermatt) in December. Around the middle of the month. When exactly does the ski season start in Switzerland? I know pretty much nothing about the ski season there. Could someone help me out? Will it be possible to ski there in december? Anybody have any recommendations of where to go?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 September 2011 at 15:45:53 #834224

Hello alisonpalm, and welcome. Generally, skiing should be possible around mid-December, as the average start of the ski season is the beginnen of December. The exact start however may very per year due to weather circumstances, and it may range from early November to December. But in resorts situated high up in the Alps, chances of snow in December are pretty high. Well-known examples are Zermatt and Saas-Fee in southern Switzerland, or the beautiful Engadine valley with towns such as Pontresina, St. Moritz etc. in the south-east.

• The thread ‘Skiing Swiss Alps in December?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.