Snow on Rigi & Pilatus in late December?

• Mamaco
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 July 2020 at 4:16:27 #825616

We are planning to visit Lucerne for a few days between 24 and 28 December 2020. We intend to go up Pilatus and Rigi. We know that Pilatues is covered in snow in summer let alone in winter. But the way down (even the way up) was green in summer.

Is there greenery going up and down Pilatus?

Is Rigi green or white in late December?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    18 July 2020 at 5:52:05 #933906

Hi Mamaco,

There may be snow on PIlatus in December but definitely not in summer. Same in Rigi. I suppose you meant Titlis? There is snow on Titlis all year-round.

These mountains are all within easy reach of Lucerne. You can find more information from the following links:

Regards,

Anna

Mamaco
    Participant
    19 posts
    19 July 2020 at 20:31:36 #933907

I meant Pilatus as I am sure Titlis will be covered in snow. We have been to Switzerland last July and wish to come back the earliest possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2020 at 23:20:29 #933908

Pilatus is not snow covered all year, only in winter.

However, one of the joys of the Pilatus is going up on the very steep, historic rack railway but that doesn’t run in mid winter.

• The thread ‘Snow on Rigi & Pilatus in late December?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.