Solo traveler 5 days in Interlaken/Lucern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2010 at 6:45:08 #803804

I am an active solo traveler looking for a trip in Interlaken/Lucern area 22-27 May. Would like to hike, bike, etc. during the day. Will the weather be appropriate? I want a worry-free trip with arranged transportation and pre-planned excusions to choose from– does anyone have suggestions? I will be coming from London, and am not sure if I should fly to Zurich or take a train through Paris to Bern. Unfortunately, I only speak English– will I have any trouble getting around on my own? Looking at a few rail trips offered through Swiss Travel Centre (Tops of Switzerland or Greatest Places). I would appreciate any advice or travel agency suggestions. I went to Lucern in September 10 years ago and loved it!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 May 2010 at 14:06:26 #831191

Hello Serendipity, and welcome to the forum. You have great travel plans. The Interlaken and Lucerne regions are wonderful indeed. As for the weather: it’s hard to say what it will be like in May. Over the past years, May has often turned out to be a nice and sunny month, but of course nothing can be predicted. I’ve had very different experiences with the weather in spring. It can even vary per region and per valley in Switzerland. A pre-planned excursion with fixed trips and dates could be disadvantageous if the weather isn’t good, because you can’t adapt your plans.

Speaking English isn’t a problem in most cases. Especially in tourist centres such as Lucerne and Interlaken, many of the railway and catering industry personell will understand and speak enough English to help you out.

I don’t have any experiences with guided tours in Switzerland myself. I’d prefer to plan my own trip and have a flexible schedule, which can be changed even at the last moment. But I understand why you’re looking for tour operators, as they can offer relaxed holidays. There’s been another topic on this: you could take a look at this if you’d like. Meier Tours, which is mentioned here, offers daily excursions around Interlaken and Lucerne. Swiss Travel Centre, which you’ve been looking at, is an official Swiss railway tour operator and they have a good reputation. Both programmes you mention look wonderful, but you have to see whether your biking and hiking plans fit in the schedule.

Should you choose one of the tours you mentioned, then a flight from the UK to Switzerland is part of the schedule. If not, you do have the option to make a train journey. This is a fine alternative, as it’s rather quick and easy, with short check-in procedures. More explanation can be found on our page on rail traveling from London to Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Solo traveler 5 days in Interlaken/Lucern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.