Spring in Swiss

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2013 at 10:00:07 #806198

Hi everyone!
    I’m planning a trip to Europe next spring and Swiss is one of my wishlist. But I only get to visit Swiss for 3 to 4 days as I’ll be visiting Paris, Amsterdam, England as well. I plan to visit Lauterbrunnen (Wengen, Murren If possible), Interlaken, Lucerne, Zurich/Basel (if possible).

However, I heard that during spring, there is more or less nothing to see (do correct me if I’m wrong). Some said lousy weather, some said no flowers 🙁 Is it true?
    Of course, it won’t be as beautiful as summer in Swiss. But is it really not worth going? I’m from Malaysia and I want to make sure it will be worth every penny that I saved.
    If it’s true, that I might change my mind, maybe I’ll let go Swiss this time and choose other countries.
    Hope you all can share your experience and info regarding spring in Swiss. To be exact. my plan is end of April/Early May.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 November 2013 at 3:05:15 #839322

Hi syuonthedot, welcome to MySwissAlps!

With only 3-4 days available I would recommend to skip Zurich and Basel but rather concentrate on the Alps: Lucerne and the Interlaken/Wengen/Mürren/Lauterbrunnen area, or even just one of these regions.

Spring is a beautiful season. You just need to take into account that it’s a transition season between Winter and Summer, which are most popular. There will be less tourists and some attractions will be closed. There is still plenty to see and do though. The vallies can have beautiful warm Spring weather while it’s still Winter in the high mountains. But of course it can also rain; you have to be lucky but that goes for any short stay in any season. See this picture, taken on May 1, to get an idea: green vallies and snowcapped mountains is what you can expect in general.

Note that the name of the country is Switzerland, not Swiss.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2013 at 10:35:44 #839323

Hi Arno,
    Thanks a lot for the info. The picture explain everything 🙂 It may not as bright and colorful as summer but I still love it 🙂 Hoping for more flowers.

My schedule is quite tight so I really hope I can fit in all the places. The reason I want to go to Zurich/Basel is just because I need to catch a flight to London.
    Here’s my route plans. I have 2 choices. Hope you can advice me on this.

PLAN A
    Day 1: PARIS-BERN (transit)-INTERLAKEN (transit)-LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 2: LAUTERBRUNNEN (sightseeing-Lauterbrunnen-Murren-Wengen)-INTERLAKEN (sightseeing/souvenirs)-LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (Lake Brienz)-Lucerne-Basel/Zurich (either one)-LONDON (by flight)

OR

PLAN B
    Day 0: AMSTERDAM-BASEL (Will arrive BASEL late in the evening so will spend the night there)
    Day 1: BASEL-LUCERNE (Lake Brienz)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 2: LAUTERBRUNNEN (sightseeing-Lauterbrunnen-Murren-Wengen)-INTERLAKEN (sightseeing/souvenirs)-LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (transit)-BERN (transit)-PARIS

1) Which plan do you think is the best and why?
    2) I need to change train at Bern. Should I pay a visit at Bern? Or should I focus more on time?
    2) Do you think I can manage day 2? Or should I visit Interlaken on the first day?

I just knew that Swiss is not the name of the country. I though Swiss is a shortform for Switzerland. Sorry about that.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 November 2013 at 12:49:00 #839324

Hi syuonthedot,

You’d best look for flowers in the vallies. In the mountains it’s still too cold for that.

1) It looks like plan B gives you a little extra time as you can start your day 1 very early if you want. Other than that there’s isn’t much of a difference I guess.
    2) If the weather is bad you could visit Bern. It’s a beautiful town. However, if the weather is fine I would concentrate on the Alps.
    3) I wouldn’t make Interlaken a priority. There is not really much to see although it’s a nice place to stroll around and shop for souvenirs. Souvenirs are for sale everywhere though, there are just more in interlaken 🙂 Again I would concentrate on the mountains as long as the weather is good. You can easily visit Interlaken for an hour or two while changing trains on day 1 or 3. You can put your luggage in a locker at the station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2013 at 0:40:39 #839325

Hi, may i know which is the best month to visit Switzerland in Spring in term of better weather, and cable car / train to Mt Titlis,
    Mt Rigi & Allmendhubel is operating? Thanks a lot.

Regards,
    Aodreen

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 November 2013 at 4:26:11 #839326

Hi Aodreen,

In general May to August are the wettest months, but that doesn’t really tell you anything about the chance to enjoy beautiful sunny weather during the days you’ll be there. It’s just that during those months the amount of precipitation is the highest, but that’s often the result of heavy rain at the end of the day while the rest of the day is fine. But a week of persistent rain can happen too.

January and February are the driest months on average, but in Winter there can also be fog or rain in the vallies and sun or snow in the mountains. What you most need is luck and then any month can be great.

Titlis and Rigi transport services operate all year long, expect perhaps for a short maintenance period. Allemendhubel opens up in June, see the timetable.

If you go later in Spring, say early June, you will have more options in terms of hiking (less snow in greater altitudes) and mountain transport (more will be opened). If you go earlier, April or so, the chances of dry weather may be a bit better, but hiking and transport will be more limited.

It’s complex but I hope this still helps you 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2013 at 1:47:32 #839327

Hi Arno,
    Thanks a lot for the info. Now I’ve decided to choose plan B 🙂

However, I have another question. I will post a new topic. Thanks lot

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2013 at 3:47:25 #839328

Hi Arno,
    Thanks a lot for your sharing. 🙂

• The thread ‘Spring in Swiss’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.