St. Gall, a.k.a Sankt Gallen and good Bratwurst

• Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 May 2018 at 22:54:36 #815881

I’ve commented periodically on St. Gall…Sankt Gallen ….and decided I’d agglomerate comments and images. This is not exactly a trip report, but , to make it suitable for this section of the fora, I can truthfully say that it is based on a visit on May 23, 2017.

From Wiki-

<<“St. Gallen or traditionally St Gall, in German sometimes Sankt Gallen is a Swiss town and the capital of the canton of St. Gallen. It evolved from the hermitage of Saint Gall, founded in the 7th century. Today, it is a large urban agglomeration (with around 160,000 inhabitants) and represents the center of eastern Switzerland.”>>

Saint Gall – Gallus – was one of several Irish monks who proselytized in the German-speaking regions the middle ages.

If I have the time when I am in Zürich or the Ostschweiz, I like to ride over to St. Gall to have lunch at Weinstube zum Baümli, a 500 year old restaurant on the first floor of a building in the old town. For those of us from the USA, it is the second floor.

http://www.weinstube-baeumli.ch/

The Swiss are fond of Weisswurst- typically veal sausages – that are white, not brown.

I am too.

The most famous brand name is:

St. Galler OLMA-Bratwurst.

So, I go to St. Gall to have one or two.They are best accompanied by Rösti…particularly good hash-browns if done correctly, and they do them correctly at zum Baümli. Pictures attached.

While I’m there, I like to walk around the old town (die Altstadt) and the pictures in the next post reflect a nice sunny day in May, before the tourist swarm has arrived.

Because we are limited to 10 images per post, I’ll post in two sets. First, the important ones…the food.

I am definitely not one of those people who photograph their food and send pictures to everyone. However, in this case, it is justified.. I think.

A second post will show some of the old town.

I invite others to add to this report. I intend to do so as I collect more relevant information.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘St. Gall, a.k.a Sankt Gallen and good Bratwurst’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.