Trip Val Bregaglia from St Moritz at 16:30?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 0:33:41 #812594

hello

I will arrive in St Moritz via Bernina Express bus then train on 30/08/17 around 16:30. Is a bus ride through Val Bragaglia and back, on the same day, worth it (3.5hrs)? We plan to stop only at Soglio for 1/2 hr for photos. Is this drive beautiful enough for a 3.5 hour journey or are we better off just exploring St Moritz? Should we stop at other villages that would be considered prettier? Could we travel a shorter distance and experience the beauty of the valley just the same?

Thank you, Traveler000

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 3:29:39 #866689

Hi Traveler000, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> I will arrive in St Moritz via Bernina Express bus then train on 30/08/17 around 16:30. Is a bus ride through Val Bragaglia and back, on the same day, worth it (3.5hrs)?

Well, that would definitely be a very long day, but in the end it’s a personal choice. It is certainly a beautiful trip, especially going down the Maloja Pass.

If you arrive in St Moritz at 16:30, you will have missed the 16:15 bus to Soglio, and the next one departs at 17:15, getting you to Soglio at 18:45.

>> We plan to stop only at Soglio for 1/2 hr for photos.

If you arrive in Soglio at 18:45, the next departure would be at 19:27. Reservations for the 19.27 bus from Soglio to Promontogno are compulsory, and must be made at least 2 hours beforehand. I doubt it would be because of expected crowds, but more likely that if they have no reservations, they don’t operate the service (just a guess on my part).

>> Is this drive beautiful enough for a 3.5 hour journey or are we better off just exploring St Moritz?

It is a beautiful journey, and Soglio is a lovely village with superb views, but it is a long trip for so late in the day. In the end though, it’s a personal choice. St Moritz is a very attractive town.

>> Should we stop at other villages that would be considered prettier?

Many of the villages in this area are picturesque. None compare with Soglio for historical integrity, ambience and stunning views.

Sils Maria is a pretty village, and very close to St Moritz (about 20 minutes by bus).

>> Could we travel a shorter distance and experience the beauty of the valley just the same?

In my opinion, you would need to go at least as far as Promontogno. If you go that far, you may as well go the rest of the way to Soglio (12 minutes).

If you are interested, I have written a trip report about my trip to Soglio from St Moritz:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-bregaglia-valley-soglio

There are also some photos of the Maloja Pass attached to my post (Locarno to St. Moritz) of Nov 3, 2016 – 1:51 PM on the page below. On the same page are some photos of Sils Maria attached to my post of Nov 5, 2016 – 6:00 AM.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-late-august-to-mid-october-2016

Alpenrose

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 July 2017 at 9:46:38 #866690

Hi Traveler000,

Personally I would not do this. Apart from the somewhat bigger towns like St. Moritz, Switzerland pretty much closes down after 6 PM. Shops close, most cable cars stop operating, public transport frequency slows down, and there’s just not much activity anymore. The evenings are a time to enjoy the immediate area or a restaurant. In St. Moritz you could have a stroll around the lake, for example.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 19:22:44 #866691

Dear Alpenrose:

I truly appreciate your detailed answers to ALL my questions!! They were extremely helpful and I’m grateful for your time. Thank you sooo much!

Dear Arno

Thank you for your wisdom as well. As much as I want to experience all of Switzerland in one trip, I think I will stop and smell the roses in St Moritz 😀.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 1:01:14 #866692

Dear Alpenrose

Really enjoyed your trip report and photos also. Thanks again!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 5:55:01 #866693

>> Really enjoyed your trip report and photos also.

Thanks! Perhaps you will get to make the trip from St Moritz to Soglio on a future trip!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Trip Val Bregaglia from St Moritz at 16:30?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.