St Moritz to Andermatt: quickest/cheapest journey

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2016 at 21:39:27 #809957

I am driving to Andermatt where I shall leave my hire car to board the Glacier Express to St Moritz for a two night stay.

I would like any advice please on a quick /cheap route back to Andermatt by train.

thank you in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2016 at 8:08:27 #855412

I am doing the same journey but have a bit of confusion regarding the train back to Andermatt. The train schedule is so confusing as there seem to be changes at Filisur where apparently passengers from Davos join the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2016 at 12:13:26 #855413

>> I am driving to Andermatt where I shall leave my hire car to board the Glacier Express to St Moritz for a two night stay.

I would like any advice please on a quick /cheap route back to Andermatt by train.

Hi Annette,

The fastest and most direct way back to Andermatt from St Moritz is the same way you went there: i.e. the Glacier Express route. That takes between 4.5 and 5 hours.

If you were willing to accept a longer travel time for the sake of seeing different scenery, one option would be to go via the Postbus over the San Bernardino Pass. That would take 5.5 hours.

To see details for this option, use the SBB timetable using St Moritz as your start point, Andermatt as your destination, and Bellinzona as a “via”. (The route is St Moritz to Thusis (train); Thusis to Bellinzona via the San Bernardino Pass (PostBus), Bellinzona to Göschenen by train, and then a short hop back to Andermatt by train.)

Note that reservations are compulsory for the PostBus sector.

Information about the PostBus trip can be found at the link below, and there is also a link on that page to make a reservation online.

http://www.postauto.ch/en/lei sure/thusis-spluegen-s-bernardino-linie

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2016 at 12:23:43 #855414

>> I am doing the same journey but have a bit of confusion regarding the train back to Andermatt. The train schedule is so confusing as there seem to be changes at Filisur where apparently passengers from Davos join the train.

Hi bohlang,

If you are looking at the timetable on the Glacier Express site, I can see why you might be confused.

You are right that it indicates passengers from Davos join the Glacier Express at Filisur, but that doesn’t affect passengers travelling from St Moritz to Andermatt/Zermatt.

It just shows which train passengers departing from Davos need to catch to connect with the Glacier Express at Filisur.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2016 at 20:42:33 #855415

Thank you Alpenrose,

You really know your stuff. I have a brochure GE..st.moritz / davos -zermatt and the pictures are nice but the confusion starts with the railway route diagram.In fact, something happens with Landwasser viaduct and Reichnau. Filisur was never mentioned at all until i read the time and location of the sbb and i face a brick wall, huh?

Arno
    15482 posts
    24 August 2016 at 14:22:23 #855416

Hi bohlang,

You can enter your trip in the timetable linked in Alpenrose666’s first post. I’m quite sure you’ll find a direct train, or one change at the most. If you need more help, please post your travel date and time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2016 at 14:37:41 #855417

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply. I shall have a look at the option you suggested.

I was trying to avoid the same return journey but this additional info gives me another route.

thank you again

annette

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2016 at 14:50:10 #855418

Hi bohlang,

Without seeing the actual brochure you are referring to, it’s not easy to understand exactly what is confusing you.

The Landwasser Viaduct is simply a (rather spectacular) feature of the journey on the Glacier Express route between Tiefencastel and Filisur. The view doesn’t last very long, but it is impressive. The most common publicity photos for the Glacier Express feature a view of that viaduct, so that might explain why the brochure draws attention to it.

Reichenau-Tamins is a station the Glacier Express travels through twice between Zermatt and St Moritz, but it doesn’t stop there. The first time it goes through Reichenau-Tamins is on the way from Zermatt to Chur, then from Chur it retraces its tracks to Reichenau-Tamins before turning south to head for St Moritz. A similar thing happens going in the opposite direction.

If you are travelling on the “official” Glacier Express train (and not on local trains over the same route), it is a direct service, with no changes of train, between Zermatt and St Moritz or vice versa. Just sit down, look out the panoramic window and enjoy the ride!

As Arno said, please post specific details if you need more help. Posting in a new thread would be best 🙂

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘St Moritz to Andermatt: quickest/cheapest journey’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.