Standard vs First

• ssd1966
    Participant
    12 posts
    25 April 2016 at 14:57:17 #809013

I have a trip planned for June

Current plan

1: Early flight to Geneva , Train to Montreux then Golden pass line . Stay in Spiez for 3 nights

2: Interlaken Area

3: Interlaken Area: Maybe Jungfrau line?

4 Travel to Brig then on Glacier express to Filsur (Stay 4 nights)

5 St Moritz

6 Chur (Maybe Arosa)

7 Klosters/Davos

8 Bernina Express to Tirano then onwards to Varenna (Overnight)

9 Lunchtime flight from Milan

Does this itinary sound OK

I think it is best to get a Swiss pass rather that the half fare card but is 1st Class worthwhileand should I just get normal trains vs the Glacier/Bernina express?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 April 2016 at 15:44:16 #851230

Hi ssd1966,

June isn’t tourist high season yet, so you don’t have to expect overly crowded 2nd class carriages. It may be busy though, and 1st class generally offers more space. Further differences are explained here.

The Glacier Express route can be covered by regular trains, but that will require lots of changes along the way, adding to the traveling time of what already is a long trip. So if you want to finish this journey in one day, I’d recommend the actual Glacier Express train. For the Bernina Express it doesn’t make that much of a difference. Local trains run the exact same routes and not many changes are required.

Validity overviews and purchase options for the Swiss Travel Pass can be found here.

• The thread ‘Standard vs First’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.