Start in Zurich or Geneva ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2015 at 14:46:21 #806894

Hi,I have planned a vacation as follows:

Start in Zurich ,stay 3 nights

.Take train to Chur where I change to glacier express to Zermatt.

Stay 2 nights in Zurmatt.

Take train to Geneva.Stay 3 nights in Geneva.

Take train to Paris.

Questions:Is it better to start the vacation in Geneva?

Does it make sense to buy a Swiss pass?

Thanks

joe

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    18 February 2015 at 19:39:45 #841766

Hi Joe,

Unless you have specific reasons to stay in Zurich and Geneva, I would recommend to stay in Lucerne and Montreux instead. These towns are smaller and closer to the mountains, and thus a better base for day trips. For more information about all these towns, please visit our town pages.

A Swiss Travel Pass makes sense. Possibly one of the other passes fit your plans as well, but you need a detailed travel plan (including day trips) in order to decide. This page explains exactly how it works.

Ending your trip near Lake Geneva (either Geneva, Montreux or another town) is fine as you can easily travel to Paris from there. But there are direct trains from Zurich as well, so either is ok. For tips about TGV tickets, please look here.

Hopefully the links help you out. If any questions remain, feel free to post back here!

Annika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2015 at 22:57:46 #841767

Hi Annika,

I will take your advice and stay In Lucerne and Montreaux.

so as of now I will fly to Zurich and take train to Lucerne and stay 3 nights there.

From Lucerne we take a local train to Zermatt via Andermatt (this way we avoid the high fees from Glacier express?)

Stay in Zermatt for 2 nights

take train to Montreaux and stay there 3 nights.

take train to Geneva or Lausanne and from there go to Paris by train.

the Swiss passes seem pricey,using the regular trains without a pass adds a lot to the listed travels ?

Thanks.

joe

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 February 2015 at 13:33:34 #841768

Hi Joe,

If it fits time wise I recommend to travel from Lucerne to Chur and pick up the Glacier Express route there, either using the official train or take the local ones (saving a CHF 33 reservation fee). That way you’ll see much more of the route.

If you don’t have any pass, cable car tickets will be quite expensive. You should definitely include a few cable cars in your plans to enjoy the wonderful views from the peaks. A Swiss Half Fare Card saves money on almost any itinerary, but to be 100% sure, you need to do the math as explained on the page Annika linked to. Either a Swiss Half Fare Card or a Swiss Travel Pass will be the cheapest option I think.

Arno

• The thread ‘Start in Zurich or Geneva ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.