Stay in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen for one night?

• Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    29 June 2017 at 10:35:55 #812456

Hi there! Trying to book our accommodation for next February and are undecided whether we should base in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen. Our intent is to visit Top of Europe and we only have one night. We will come from Germany so arriving time at Interlaken/Lauterbunnen would be about 12pm(6hr train ride). If weather is good, we will try to head up to Top of Europe from about 1pm and head down on the last 5pm train. If there were delays, we will go Top of Europe early next morning about 7am. We wish to set off for Zermatt by 3pm. In the time we have at Interlaken/Lauterbunnen, we would also like to visit Wengen and Grindelwald to enjoy more of the Swiss Alps. Where would you recommend we stay?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 June 2017 at 14:42:13 #865981

Hi Uallin,

Although Lauterbrunnen is more scenic than Interlaken, I would pick Interlaken in this case. The round trip via Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Grindelwald will be slightly easier from there. Please see here for Jungfraujoch route details.

For hotel suggestions, please see:

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    1 July 2017 at 7:58:19 #865982

Thank you, Arno, for your invaluable feedback.

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    3 July 2017 at 4:57:50 #865983

Hi Arno. Apologies for dwelling on this subject. Have been reading the threads and posts in this site and my inclination to stay in Lauterbrunnen lingers.. Looks really nice to stay and wake up close to the Alps. Hence, would like to know how is the round trip via Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Grindelwald will be slightly easier from Interlaken. Also, how are the roads in Lauterbrunnen in winter (Feb)? Are they well plowed? Considering the difficulty level if to walk to accommodation with luggage. Thanks!

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 July 2017 at 9:30:38 #865984

No problem Uallin! Lauterbrunnen is perfectly fine if you don’t mind one extra change in Zweilütschinen on your way back from Grindelwald. The scenery is certainly better than in Interlaken. It’s a small village with a few hotels and restaurants, and just one supermarket.

In general small roads and sidewalks are not plowed. If there is snow in the valley, which is not guaranteed even in February, you will need solid shoes.

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    3 July 2017 at 9:44:04 #865985

Hi Arno, just want to clarify did you mean there may not be snow in Lauterbrunnen in February? I thought that’s winter and was expecting snow everywhere. Any snow in Wengen, Grindelwald ? Then I suppose Interlaken, which is of lower altitude, wouldn’t have snow either?

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 July 2017 at 10:09:53 #865986

Hi Uallin,

The higher you go, the bigger the chance of snow. From low to high, the order of towns in the region is Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Wengen, Mürren.

January and February are the best months to experience snow (myswissalps.com/ besttimetovisit). But there is no guarantee for snow on the ground in places as low as Lauterbrunnen (about 800 m). Global warming is having a clear effect on the Alps too, unfortunately. There have been winters when it took very long until the first substantial snowfall occurred (no white Christmas). But also there have been lots of snow as early as late November. One just can’t tell, and the climate tends to show more ups and downs than decades ago. So snow in Lauterbrunnen is likely but not guaranteed. As you go up you will certainly find snow.

bouboucadeau
    Participant
    20 posts
    3 July 2017 at 11:24:09 #865987

Hi I went to Switzerland last year in February 2016

i stayed in interlaken for 2 nights and Lauterbrunnen for 3 nights.

Both were great small towns. Each town offers little hidden gems.

For the Swiss Alps experience, I would stay in Lauteebrunnwn

as far as to top of Europe, it’s easier from Lauteerbrunnen.

Its just one town over from Interlaken. And from there it’s about 3 towns to Klein Scheidegg. The final stop to Top of Europe

it take awhile to get there. About hour and half. Lots of transfer but very easy and there is always a train every few minutes and just across platform.

I would take time to enjoy town of Grindelwald

below are some photos of my trip enjoy!

Swisss, so expensive but so damn beautiful

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    3 July 2017 at 13:07:08 #865988

Thanks Arno and bouboucadeau. Both your posts have been very helpful. I’m considering booking an apartment at the end of town. At Hotel Horner. Not sure if that’s too far to lug our luggage there in winter. Is it possible to get a taxi to the Hotel Horner from the train station. Any idea what it would cost?

bouboucadeau
    Participant
    20 posts
    3 July 2017 at 16:06:11 #865989

Hi

no it should be easy to walk as the path should be cleared of snow. In winter the buses in Lauterbrunnen are free. But it’s a pleasant walk in winter

Your hotel is at the end of the main road. Past the staubbach falls.

Photos are town of Lauterbrunnen in February 2016

• The thread ‘Stay in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen for one night?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.