Staying in Murren and Wengen & would like thoughts

• skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    12 May 2015 at 18:27:17 #807213

Hi there! I have enjoyed reading many of the posts here and have learned so much. Thought I would give you a synopsis of our trip to see what you think. We will be in Murren for our first week and Wengen our 2nd week. Most of us arrive via Zurich airport and all will leave via Zurich. There will be 8 adults and 3 small children, one is 21 months. I would like thoughts on my itinerary to see if we are crazy or not. I am trying to use easy hikes then a harder one. Sometimes we will have some of the adults going off on their own harder hike. We like about 6 hrs and maybe 2500ft elevation gain over 5 miles or so for a thought of what they would like. I am thinking of getting the Swiss Transfer Card w half fare card for the adults and the free family card for the 6 and 8 yr old and the 21 month old doesn’t need anything I understand. I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the half fare card will be sufficient or if we should consider the Bernese Oberland Card too for 8-10- of the days. Need to figure out which cable/trains etc for each one in order to really do the math but that is tedious!! Not sure if I am choosing the “best” origination village for these and would there be a slightly harder offshoot hike some of the older ones can take? We want to stay together much of the time but have no problem with older ones going off several times…..OR putting on the baby backpack. The two other kids are actually pretty good hikers for a few harder hikes a week. We have done a bit of hiking as a family in Alaska, Scotland and elsewhere and so the kids can manage a few days.

I have a hard time knowing the difficulty of the walks and figuring what train/gondola etc to take AND I feel I need a couple good choices for harder hikes for my son in law who will be leaving to do while in Murren

July 4th arrive Zurich and take train to Murren

July 5th Murren to Gimmelwald while we acclimate (all coming from sea level) Stroller friendly if we have one. Take Schithombahn cable back to Murren

July 6th Allmenhubel lift from Murren Take the Children’s Adventure Trail–1 hr, NorthFace Trail 2 1/2 hr and Flower Trail 20 min loop. Lots of play in between

July 7th Murren to Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg Easy 4 miles to Stubbach Falls and Trummelbach Falls Can continue to Schilthorn Piz Gloria or Stechelberg Inn

July 8th We will do the Jungfraujoch train trip up to the top one day that it is clear from Murren while one son in law is here as he will not be in Wengen where it is more convenient to leave from. 3 1/2 hrs from Kleine Scheidegg giving an hour at the top but not sure how long it takes to get from Murren to KS. One will be almost 7 months pregnant but have been told this should be ok for her to do and the 21 month old.

July 9th All day trip to Schynige Platte to First -not sure there is an easier route to First to do with the kids but the adults may like this 10 mile/3200ft incline/7 hrs unless there is a better choice. Anyway to shorten it a bit??? Looks like there is an easier loop back to SP but not sure the length etc. IS there a better way to hike up to First that might not be quite so intense?? Train from Murren to Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil to SP, there we will see the Teddy Bear exhibit and the Alpine Garden 2 hrs one way to here from Murren.

I have also seen take train to Grindlewald then gondola up First. 2 1/2 mile walk to Bachalpsee. Return to First take gondola down to Bort with a large play area. Should I fit both of these in or just one……

July 10th Murren to Grutschalp walk 1-3 mile??? OR train to Lauterbrunnen then gondola to Grutschalp with trampoline then lift to Allemenhubel with playground to Blumental and see Flower Valley

July 11th son in law leaves are there any other activities we might like to do here? still researching…..

July 12th move over to Wengen (tried to stay 2 weeks in Wengen but the large chalet we were looking at was rented the first week but I like experiencing both areas now) Maybe train up to Mannlichen with playground and do the Felix Weg Trail back…a kids’ zipline?

July 13th massage/spa day for daughter’s birthday the men can take the kids to the diary to see how cheese is made etc

July 14th Wengen to KS to see the goats. Hike #42 low route 2600 ft ~ 6-7 miles/3 hrs (will take us longer with the kids) Those that want can continue up to the top of Mannlichen

July 15th Wengen to to KS to Männlichen Maybe play miniature golf then Take the Panoramaweg 3 miles back to KS and train back to Wengen

July 16th Wengen to Männlichen to Grindlewald, get off at Holenstein stop and/or Bort for awesome playground and train back to Wengen

July 17th a few more of our group leaves

July 18th Wengen to KS to Eiger Glacier Station and hike down to KS then to train at Wengernalp then train to Wengen

July 19th leave for Zurich and explore Zurich haven’t even started looking here!!

July 20th fly out of Zurich

I understand there is an outdoor Waldbort pool in Wengen we will want to use on some day when we get backearly enough . Is this the heated pool in the center of town with fascinating views?

In Murren there is a playground and ice rink.

Are there any day trips out of the area that you think we should not miss??

I know I have given too much info but not knowing if too much, not enough etc etc and if missing anything!!

Thanks for any input.

oh….two more questions in relation to which pass to get.

1. Daughter, son in law and 6 and 8 yr old will be flying into Budapest instead of Zurich in advance of us. They will be training it to Austria then renting a car at some point in time then head to Lake Constance area toward Zwitzerland. They are wondering if there are high fees to drive all the way to Interlaken (meet us there to take the train up to Murren) and drop off the car. We have heard there is a fee to pay at the border and also that there is not. If they do this they would either get the Half fare card at full price OR get the Swiss Travel Pass Combi. IF this fee for dropping off the car is exorbitant then they may consider catching the train at the closest border station. Would that be Zurich or somewhere else?? If they do this then they would get the Swiss Transfer Tkt Combi and still meet us in Interlaken or Murren. I understand that needs to be bought in advance so we need to figure this all out soon!!

2. Other daughter and husband will be leaving for 3 days while we are in Wengen to meet up with friends in Frankfurt and drive up the Rhine River for a day and a half then take the train back to Wengen. I know a long trip but an opportunity to see a friend who lives overseas now. Trying to decide if the Half Fare card for them along with the Swiss Transfer Card is the best buy for them as they fly in/out of Zurich OR would the Swiss Travel Combi be better for them for 10 of the days then use the Half Fare Card the other days.

Lastly, would the Bernese Oberland Card make sense for us in addition with the amount of transport we are thinking of taking?

Thank you SO much for any thoughts, advice, further suggestions etc etc.

Eileen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 May 2015 at 9:36:46 #843033

Hi Eileen,

Glad to hear you’ve learned from our website! Did you explore our hiking section, and specifically the list of trails for the Bernese Oberland and Jungfrau region? You’ll find a lot of suggestions and detailed trail descriptions there. Maps are included as well.

The Jungfrau region is wonderful, but I would nevertheless recommend to do a few trips beyond Interlaken too. The boat trips on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz are wonderful (details on the above pages). A day trip to Bern is a good bad weather alternative. There are gorges you may like (the Gletscherschlucht near Grindelwald, and the Aareschlucht near Meiringen), and the St. Beatus caves along Lake Thun (so easily combined with a boat trip). Don’t worry about missing anything: there is so much to do in the region, you can’t cover it all in two weeks anyway. But, all of it is beautiful, so I’m sure you’ll have a great time if the weather is fine.

As for the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi versus the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland: the latter is for consecutive days, so it would not cover your two week stay completely. You’ve mostly planned short local trips, so the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi is a good choice. Doing the math is the only way to determine whether the Regional-Pass works out cheaper. By the way, you do get a 25% discount on the Regional-Pass if you own a Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi. If some people in the party plan to visit more peaks then others, you could decide to buy Regional-Passes just for them when you’re there. The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi must be purchased in advance though. The options are listed here (please make your selection in the rail product list, then click ‘Show results’). From the US, you can get them through raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/swiss-transfer-ticket-with-half-fare-card-combi/index.html.

Any car using Swiss motorways needs a vignette. Apart from that, dropping off a car in a different country is usually very expensive, but you would have to ask the rental company. A cheaper alternative is to drop off the car in Austria, near the border (possibly Bregenz or Lustenau), and take a train across the border to St. Margrethen. From there, the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi covers the train ride to Mürren; no tickets required. The trip to Frankfurt has been discussed here: myswissalps.com/ forum/topic/ what-passes-to-get-while-staying-in-murren-and-wen.

I hope this was useful!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2015 at 14:25:59 #843034

Eileen – You have really been doing your homework!

I did not have time to read your whole post, but I shall. I expect to learn a lot from it.

Meanwhile, just a couple of thoughts:

1.- There is a very nice playground at Männlichen, which you can watch reasonably well from the restaurant. My 8 year old granddaughter had a wonderful time there on top of the world in 2009. See pictures.

2.- There are quite few ways to learn more about the hikes.

Here are two web sites which I use a lot, as well as my own collection of paper maps ( die Wanderkarten.)

The Swisstopo web site has a very good map on the right of the home page. And if you click on the Products Tab and the “maps” entry on the left, you can learn about maps that you could use.

swisstopo.admin.ch/ internet/swisstopo/ en/home.html

Switzerland mobility has excellent detail on many hikes, as well as other forms of personal mobility.

For hikes, you may have to work a bit by picking village ot town names to enter in the search box.

But, if they have the hike in their list, you get height profiles, interesting sights, transport connections, and usually places to stay.

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/hiking-in-switzerland.htmlSince you are experienced hikers, i’m sure that you know this, but hiking at 2300 meters make make you pant a bit on the uphill stretches at first.

Finally, as Annika noted, it is a good idea to have back up plans if the weather is aproblem.

Bern is in easy reach.

Luzern is worthwhile, but it is a bit of a train ride.

Also, in the region, at the southern end of Lake Luzern, if you are a history buff, try following Suvorov’s route over the Chinzig Kulm to the Muotathal, or simply up and back from Bürglen near Altdorf ( lift most of the way up) has a bit of interest.

search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=Suvorov%27s+route

nytimes.com/1991/ 03/17/travel/ where-cossacks-crossed-the-alps.html

The map for stage 6 of the Via Alpina includes the route, although it is not the featured route of thisi description. Expand the map.

wanderland.ch/en/ routes/etappe-01238.html

skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    14 May 2015 at 16:06:19 #843035

Thank you Arno for your links to the hiking trails as I had not seen those yet! Will definitely take a look at them! That looks like an excellent resource. My head spins with all the possibilities and I agree a few day trips out of the area might be nice. With so many we will look for the easiest to transport, not too far and cost effective! I like the idea of the Lake Thun boat trip combined with the Beatus Caves as it is 1/2 price with the Half Fare Card and theGletscherschlucht Gorge near Grindelwald. Also, thinking about the Ballenberg Open Air Museum if you think that is worthwhile. Mostly, it will be most wonderful to spend an extended visit with my kids and grandkids which does not happen often enough. And I did go back to the earlier post for the info to Frankfurt. Not sure how I missed that!! and will send it onto my daughter.

Do you have any specific thoughts on the trails I choose? I will look at the site you have linked me too and maybe there is more extensive info even on those specific hikes.

Thank you Slowpoke for your input and I have read several of your posts which is why I figured I better think my itinerary through a bit. I am not use to hiking in a “new” spot with the kids without first “scouting” it out which is why I am being so careful. Will also look at all your links. Do I need to get specific hiking maps for the area to take with us while hiking or are most trails that we will be going on well marked so as not to need to do that? I am familiar with most of the play areas you have listed but again will go to your links as I have not seen individual links on them.

One of my daughters will be driving in from Austria and Arno nicely gave us an alternative to driving to Zurich. She may be the one that stops in Lucerne a few hours on the way up to Murren with her Swiss Transfer Ticket which she can do as long as she does the route within one day. I believe the rest of the group will be a bit jet lagged and will want to just get to Murren without stopping.

I will share the history link to my son in law who is a history buff!!

Thanks to both of you for all your input……

The site here has been invaluable already and I have only scratched the surface!

Cheers,

Eileen

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2015 at 16:42:04 #843036

<<“Thank you Slowpoke for your input and I have read several of your posts
    which is why I figured I better think my itinerary through a bit. I am
    not use to hiking in a “new” spot with the kids without first “scouting”
    it out which is why I am being so careful. Will also look at all your
    links. Do I need to get specific hiking maps for the area to take with
    us while hiking or are most trails that we will be going on well marked
    so as not to need to do that? I am familiar with most of the play areas
    you have listed but again will go to your links as I have not seen
    individual links on them”>>

If the trail is a Wanderweg, you won’t need a map until you get to a signpost that gives you three different routes to the same destination with different times. Then, you’ll wonder if one is a downhill scramble, or conversely, a shorter but steeper uphill route.

I am extremely conservative when hiking in strange country, doubly so in the mountains, and I like paper maps So, I always have a map in my pocket. You have done a lot of hiking.

<<” Do I need to get specific hiking maps for the area to take with us
    while hiking or are most trails that we will be going on well marked so
    as not to need to do that? “>>

I cannot answer your question for you. The trails will be well marked. You will be hiking in areas with extreme topography.

.More on this later, but, find a way to take a look at a Wanderkarte. If you use the 1:50,000 ( he older size) you would only need a couple for the Jungfrau region. I misplaced mine the other day, but they should be 254T and 264T.

I posted an example in a thread for Brit37. Or, you can likely find them at a store in Mürren.

Check this thread, I talk about maps in it –

myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/permalink/ cgKORqDW9mqS6v8AAFcRTQ

<<“I am familiar with most of the play areas
    you have listed but again will go to your links as I have not seen
    individual links on them”>>”>>

I only mentioned one. Here is another. The one by the transport museum at the Lido in Luzern is very large and very nice.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 May 2015 at 9:43:21 #843037

The Open Air Museum is absolutely worth it. You can combine it with a boat trip from Interlaken Ost to Brienz, or vice versa. There’s a chocolate shop with a chocolate making demonstration, so the children (if not everyone) will probably like that.

The trail from Mürren to Grütschalp is stroller friendly, so that’s a good one for a family walk. There’s a restaurant half way.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 May 2015 at 12:46:05 #843038

[quote]Arno said:

<“”The Open Air Museum is absolutely worth it.”>>

If they go, they can get acloser look at this particularly nice Emmental farmhouse, without evn having to go to the Emmental. 😉

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 May 2015 at 19:24:14 #843039

<<“July 5th Murren to Gimmelwald while we acclimate (all coming from sea
    level) Stroller friendly if we have one. Take Schithombahn cable back
    to Murren……………………………………….

July 7th Murren to
    Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg Easy 4 miles to Stubbach Falls and
    Trummelbach Falls Can continue to Schilthorn Piz Gloria or Stechelberg
    Inn”>>

Eileen –

On July fifth that walk is only 1 km as the bird flies, although longer because of the switchbacks. 22o meters descent. It will definitely not fill the day. But, I suspect that you know that. If you want a bit more of a work out, how about walking up instead of down? Or, both ways for the hardy folks.

On July 7th, as you note, you will have a very easy day as well.

I suspect that you have planned it that way in order for everyone to become familiar with the territory, and with that many people coming together from all those destinations, it sounds like really good planning.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 May 2015 at 19:36:34 #843040

<<“I will share the history link to my son in law who is a history buff!!”>>

That hike to Chinzig Kulm is probably a bit far away for a day trip from the Berner Oberland, but, it can be a good hike for the serious hikers.

Weather –

With a two week stay in the Berner Oberland, you may find that weather is of particular concern. That area is only at its best in weather that allows good sightseeing.

When I am in Switzerland, I always look at the weather show on SF1 TV, from about 0630 to about 0730 or 0800. There are webcams, and, most useful for me, the maps show the weather in the different parts of the country. They show today – morning and afternoon, and the next day, plus less detail for following days. The newspapers also show the weather in different areas. It is amazing to me how much it can vary from West to East. And, the weather south of the Alps is often sunny when the northern areas are cloudy. If I have options for things to do on a given day, those weather forecasts will guide me. You do have to look closely at them; there can be subtle distinctions in the degree of cloudiness that can be significant.

And, the weather changes fast. Predictions are may change frequently. The geography has a lot to do with it.

skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    24 May 2015 at 14:51:35 #843041

I have had time now to digest some of this info….getting clearer on some points and more confused with ALL the choices! Finding some prices to be ok for transport and others quite expensive times 10. Still trying to get a handle on the math to see if it makes sense to get a Bernese Oberland unlimited pass or Swiss Pass. We have gotten the Swiss Transfer Pass and a 1/2 fare card to cover our trip to/from the airport and any days another unlimited pass was not used if we decide to get those. Time spent on the modes of transport are also a little overwhelming as some are 1-2 hrs each way for the hikes I was interested in. I know this is all part of it and I look at we would be driving often that far so am ok with it but not I know I need to add that to time tables of getting places. Was thinking there would be more hikes just straight from our villages of Wengen and Murren with not such a need to do the transport. I am sure there is even more of that then I am aware of as I research more. But I also don’t want to limit myself totally on cost and time spent traveling!

The day trips that look interesting are: Please tell me which do you think would be our best options to do?

Ballenburg Open Museum–looks like we can buy tkts in Wengen trains station for 26 each incl admission w admission alone is 22 1 1/2 hr from W or M and a few hrs there so 5-6 hrs. I think this includes the ferry ride. Is this the “boat” ride you are recommending doing with it? Where is the chocolate making demonstration? In Brienze? Is there a cost to watch?

Brienzer Rothorn Steam Train from either W or M could we combine this with the Museum day since we will already be near Brienze? I am having trouble getting some train routings and prices but show it to be 37chf each way which is a high cost day. I am thinking that really would be too long a day since that is 2 hr one way from Brienze!

I am thinking it is not necessary to go to the Schilthorn Piz Gloria if we definitely are planning on doing the ride to the top of the Jungfrau?

Gletscherschlucht near Grindelwald Is this trip worth it if we have seen many waterfalls and gorges? Although, I understand the pathway through the gorge in itself is a wonder 7chf and 10 for the ride to Grindlewald. I understand Grindlewald is quite touristy and we will be going through it the day we go up to First and hike to Bachsee.

thanks slowpoke to you also….yes, we are well aware of altitude panting!! Hiked Kilimanjaro a few years back! Mostly over 2500-3000m for me! and a much slower pace.I am not good with topo maps! but like knowing in advance if uphill/downhill etc etc and which way to go. 3 years in the UK and I am still relying on others to “lead” me! Too use to US signage and knowing “my” area there when hiking.I have found those 2 maps on a site….should I get them in English or probably Swiss spelling would be better for sign reading! They are about 18euros each. Maybe I should order these before I get to Murren?

With 10 people traveling with 3 being little ones and we will have 1 luggage each….do you suggest we get the service from the Zurich airport to Murren or easy enough to get our luggage in with us quickly. If we arrive about 10:30am will our luggage make it to Murren by evening and will we arrive in time to receive it before it closes adding time to pass customs/pick up/drop off our luggage/buy train tkts then transport the 3 hrs to Murren.

I do have Kim’s guide you mention which is what I used to make my initial itinerary for hikes/day trips. Thank you for your specific thoughts on specific days. That helps a lot.

skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    24 May 2015 at 14:57:40 #843042

Some further thoughts along with mine, Arno and Slowpoke’s responses

July 4th arrive Zurich and take train to MurrenJuly 5th Murren to Gimmelwald while we acclimate (all coming from sea level) Stroller friendly if we have one. Take Schithombahn cable back to Murren

SLOWPOKE I suspect that you have planned it that way in order for everyone to become familiar with the territory, and with that many people coming together from all those destinations, it sounds like really good planning.

ME thanks for the comments. Our first day and thought something easy and relaxing for jet lag and altitude adjustments! Thanks for the thought though to do both ways!! I have not thought of that!

July 6th Allmenhubel lift from Murren Take the Children’s Adventure Trail–1 hr, NorthFace Trail 2 1/2 hr and Flower Trail 20 min loop. Lots of play in between

July 7th Murren to Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg Easy 4 miles to Stubbach Falls and Trummelbach Falls Can continue to Schilthorn Piz Gloria or Stechelberg Inn

ARNO The trail from Mürren to Grütschalp is stroller friendly, so that’s a good one for a family walk. There’s a restaurant half way.

SLOWPOKE I suspect that you have planned it that way in order for everyone to become familiar with the territory, and with that many people coming together from all those destinations, it sounds like really good planning.

ME not sure we need to do the trip up the Schilthorn if doing the Jungfrau another day

July 8th We will do the Jungfraujoch train trip up to the top one day that it is clear from Murren while one son in law is here as he will not be in Wengen where it is more convenient to leave from. 3 1/2 hrs from KleineScheidegg giving an hour at the top but not sure how long it takes to get from Murren to KS. One will be almost 7 months pregnant but have been told this should be ok for her to do and the 21 month old.

ME Somewhere I have read there is a nice trail half way back from the top of the Jungfrau but haven’t been able to locate that thought…..any ideas? Trying to get my research a little more condensed and in one area now

July 9th All day trip to Schynige Platte to First -not sure there is an easier route to First to do with the kids but the adults may like this 10 mile/3200ft incline/7 hrs unless there is a better choice. Anyway to shorten it a bit??? Looks like there is an easier loop back to SP but not sure the length etc. IS there a better way to hike up to First that might not be quite so intense?? Train from Murren to Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil to SP, there we will see the Teddy Bear exhibit and the Alpine Garden 2 hrs one way to here from Murren.

ME Is the easier loop at SP the same Panorama Trail you talk about on the hiking page? 22.50 each way from either M or W. I think a better idea is to do this Panorama Trail one day then on another day take the train to Grindelwald then to First and hike the 3 1/2 mile easy trail to Bachsee and back (is that one way or both ways?) Gondola down to Bort to play before continuing on to Grindlewald then to Murren. From here some could decide to continue back to SP if they want. or is it a nicer hike going the other direction?

I have also seen take train to Grindlewald then gondola up First. 2 1/2 mile walk to Bachalpsee. Return to First take gondola down to Bort with a large play area. Should I fit both of these in or just one……

July 10th Murren to Grutschalp walk 1-3 mile??? OR train to Lauterbrunnen then gondola to Grutschalp with trampoline then lift to Allemenhubel with playground to Blumental and see Flower Valley

July 11th son in law leaves are there any other activities we might like to do here? still researching…..

July 12th move over to Wengen (tried to stay 2 weeks in Wengen but the large chalet we were looking at was rented the first week but I like experiencing both areas now) Maybe train up to Mannlichen with playground and do the Felix Weg Trail back…a kids’ zipline?

July 13th massage/spa day for daughter’s birthday the men can take the kids to the diary to see how cheese is made etc

July 14th Wengen to KS to see the goats. Hike #42 low route 2600 ft ~ 6-7 miles/3 hrs (will take us longer with the kids) Those that want can continue up to the top of Mannlichen

July 15th Wengen to to KS to Männlichen Maybe play miniature golf then Take the Panoramaweg 3 miles back to KS and train back to Wengen

July 16th Wengen to Männlichen to Grindlewald, get off at Holenstein stop and/or Bort for awesome playground and train back to Wengen

July 17th a few more of our group leaves

July 18th Wengen to KS to Eiger Glacier Station and hike down to KS then to train at Wengernalp then train to Wengen

July 19th leave for Zurich and explore Zurich haven’t even started looking here!!

July 20th fly out of ZurichI understand there is an outdoor Waldbort pool in Wengen we will want to use on some day when we get backearly enough . Is this the heated pool in the center of town with fascinating views?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 May 2015 at 16:26:14 #843043

<<“I have found those 2 maps on a site….should I get them in English or probably Swiss spelling would be better for sign reading! They are about18euros each. Maybe I should order these before I get to Murren?”>>

Having fun yet? 😉

Those maps (254T Interlaken and 264T Jungfrau) will be readily available in Zürich main station at Barth Bücherei, down one level from the railheads by the the stairs for tracks 1 and 2. The store is immediately in front of you.

I just checked – your train from the airport to Mürren will barely stop in Zürich main station.

I think your first change will be at Bern., then I.O, then Lauterbrunnen.

You probably won’t have time to pick up maps during any of those changes, unless you happen to walk by thStauffacher in Bern Station, but you only have a 6 minute change time.

They are not available in English, as far as I know, and you should definitely get the maps from the Swiss Federal land office.

They will almost surely be available in Wengen, Mürren, or Lauterbrunnen.

However, if you get them ahead of time, you can study them a bit to get a sense of the overall area as well as specific trails. 18Euros is about the same price or probably cheaper than in Switzerland, but not much different.

If I were in Europe, I would see if I could order them directly from Swisstopo. Single maps in that scale are 22.5CHF. You will get the latest editions. They don’t change much but trails sometimes get re-routed, or added.

Look under “products” at the top of of the home page-http://www.swisstopo.admin.ch /internet/swisstopo/e n/home/products.html​

Please note that there is a new series of Wanderkarten at 1:33,000. I have not used them, but I’ll try some in June. There are also some few selected area composite maps at a highly detailed 1:25,000 (also Wanderkarten)

I personally plan from the 1:50,000 and then markup a regular 1:25,000 if i do not have the 1:25,000 “T” or it is not available for where I’m going.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 May 2015 at 16:46:59 #843044

<<“With 10 people traveling with 3 being little ones and we will have 1 luggage each….do you suggest we get the service from the Zurich airport to Murren or easy enough to get our luggage in with us quickly. If we arrive about 10:30am will our luggage make it to Murren by evening and will we arrive in time to receive it before it closes adding time to pass customs/pick up/drop off our luggage/buy train tkts then transport the 3 hrs to Murren.”>>

The one day fast luggage service is available to some stops in the BO. Wengen, for sure; don’t recall what others.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/s tation-services/servi ces/baggage.html

http://www.sbb.ch/en/s tation-services/services/baggage/fast-bagga ge.html

However, you have to hand it in before 9AM if I recall correctly. And, check the list of stations where you can use it.

Especially If you have only one bag each, hopefully with rollers, you can get them on the trains and between trains pretty well.

At Bern- if possible, it an be useful, but not critical to get off the train near the middle of the train (no railheads) to be closer to the underground cross-track walk way and at I.O, the transfer sometimes gets crowded ( or did few years ago.).

In both cases you’ll have to keep the kids moving quickly.

Considering your 1030 arrival time, it is not a big deal if you miss a connection; there is frequent service during the day.

skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    4 June 2015 at 13:39:04 #843045

I have had to take a break from all my planning!! Can I ask if there is an app that will give you all the train connections and what platforms etc for our journey from the Zurich airport since it is impossible to know how long it will take to get through customs, luggage collection etc.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 June 2015 at 13:53:26 #843046

Sure, both the online timetable and the app can be found here, under ‘Miscellaneous’.

skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    4 June 2015 at 13:55:01 #843047

ALso, since there are 11 of us traveling together (at least most of the time!) and 3 of those with free family card…..at the transport areas out of Wengen and Murren and into the hiking areas will there always be an attended kiosk where we can buy our tickets at one time with a credit card or cash or will it always be at an automatic station where we need exact cash for each ticket? Thanks so I can know what to prepare for in respect to coins/dollar bills etc

thanks,

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 June 2015 at 14:10:20 #843048

Both Wengen and Mürren have staffed rail stations. I haven’t used ticketing machines there, but I’m sure they’re available. Such machines usually accept credit and debit cards, apart from cash (Swiss francs). Opening hours in Wengen are 5:30 AM to 7:40 PM. And Mürren 7:35 AM to 5:45 PM, but they’re closed during lunch time.

skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    4 June 2015 at 14:40:19 #843049

Arno,

I am setting up my account for the timetable app and for hopefully ease in purchasing tickets. It is asking for my 1/2 fare ticket number. It shows a credit card size card while the ones I got in the mail are paper and a long rectangle shape. Anyways, none of the numbers correspond with what is on the app site. Also, can I purchase more then just my tickets with this??

thanks,

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 June 2015 at 17:22:21 #843050

Hi Eileen,

It sounds like it assumes you’re a Swiss citizen, and they have a different type of half fare card for 1 to 3 years. There’s no need to go through all that. You don’t need an account. Just use the app for train schedules and buy your tickets at the station from the staffed desk or machine. You can buy them the day before if you don’t want to do so just before departure.

If you do prefer the app, I don’t think you need to register your Swiss Half Fare Card. I never did. You can pick the half fare option when you buy a ticket, even if you did not register a card. It’s fine as long as you can show the Swiss Half Fare Card when the conductor checks your ticket.

I’m not sure if the app allows you to buy tickets for multiple people. If not, the staff or ticketing machine can do so. It does not take long, once you know how it works.

skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    4 June 2015 at 17:48:37 #843051

oh good! I will just wait then….your tips and advise is so welcoming! Thanks

skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    30 June 2015 at 10:45:23 #843052

This blog and Kim’s guide together are a tremendous help in our preparation.

My daughter is traveling through Hungary down to meet us in Zurich. Her husband waited 2 hrs to get train tkts! We got the 2nd class Swiss Transfer Ticket with 1/2 fare card. We will be starting at the Zurich airport and headed to Murren the first week. The sbb.ch site shows not many people in 1st class but crowded in 2nd class. Of course, we do not wish to wait in line for 2 hrs either but think we will need to just to have our Transfer tickets validated? …..in the beginning of July will we see that great number of people buying tickets at every stop?? We do need to have our tickets validated in Zurich, is that the only place we need to validate and then after that just get on every stop (Berne, Interlaken Ost, Lauterbrunnen to Murren BLM?). I am thinking after that, we don’t need to buy any tkts til the next day if using the mtn transport to go up further the mountain.Could you clarify the process for me? If we need to expect 2 hrs waiting to get our tickets validated then we need to prepare with snacks for the children! ALso, will we be sure to be able to get on any of the trains? Do they fill up to capacity often? We will be looking to get on the 12, 12:40 or 1:13pm trains after arriving about 10:30

Thanks so much for your expert advice,EileenThanks,Eileen

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • The thread ‘Staying in Murren and Wengen & would like thoughts’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.