Staying in Samedan and Schaffhausen with dogs

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2015 at 6:55:47 #807178

Hello!

My friend and I are travelling to Switzerland from Singapore in the mid of June. We travel from Milan to Samedan, then to Schaffhausen with 3 dogs. We have rented a car, but I am wondering which is the most recommended way for us to travel to Swiss Alps with the dogs? Is there any train from Samedan that we can take?

Any recommendations or advise will be great as we have not confirmed the hotels and apartments yet.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 May 2015 at 14:35:52 #842883

Hi rforreeko, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

With 3 dogs, it indeed makes sense to use a car, especially for longer distances. Dogs are welcome in public transportation though. They’re allowed in mountain trains and cable cars as well, so it’s no problem to make day trips into the mountains from Samedan. Further information on traveling with dogs in regular trains is mentioned here.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2015 at 14:51:15 #842884

Hello!

Thanks for the reply. Is there any area that you can particularly recommend in Samedan? Are the dogs allowed on the chairlifts?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2015 at 1:16:44 #842885

<<“Are the dogs allowed on the chairlifts? “>

Arno can follow up, but, don’t know how a dog would ride the chairlifts, except in your lap.. Then , the locking bar across your lap might interfere. Cable cars (gondola cars, and smaller ones) would be able to fit in some dogs, I believe. No problem in gondola cars.

When you board a chair lift or lift with small cabins for 3 or 4 people, you have bnly a few seconds to get into the “car” and settle in. I am not sure whether dogs would mange that smoothly…what do you think?

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 May 2015 at 7:04:26 #842886

The only chairlift I can think of in the area is one to Alp Languard. Personally I would avoid that with a dog, and certainly with multiple dogs. I have seen a dog in a chairlift once, but it was a small one that was obviously used to it. I wouldn’t do it, there are plenty of other cable cars to enjoy. You may enjoy the gondola from nearby Celerina up to Marguns. There are some easy hiking trails up there, or you can walk back down to Celerina or St. Moritz.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2015 at 7:15:20 #842887

Thank you for the advise. We are staying at romantik hotel muottas muragl and want to take the glacier express but I read that dogs are not allowed in the train. Are there any similar trains that will allow dogs and be good for mountain viewing? I very much would like to visit the Jungfraujoch but I don’t think we can make it there in time

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 May 2015 at 6:10:17 #842888

All trains allow dogs, except the Glacier Express because they serve food throughout the train. I’m not sure you would want to do the 8 hour ride with dogs anyway. For shorter train trips, you you’d better take the local trains. You can take a train up to the Bernina Pass and take a walk with the dogs there. Or perhaps as far as Poschiavo to see the other side of the pass too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2015 at 8:45:36 #842889

thank you! this is very helpful!!

• The thread ‘Staying in Samedan and Schaffhausen with dogs’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.