Similar towns to Stein am Rhein?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 9:43:36 #810593

Hi,

Me and my family will be going to Switzerland on April 6-17. I was wondering if anyone knows a town/city/village similar to Stein am Rhein? By similar I mean buildings with lots of frescoes, murals, etc?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 January 2017 at 23:45:05 #858139

Hi luthienbabe-

<<“I was wondering if anyone knows a town/city/village similar to Steim am Rhein? By similar I mean buildings with lots of frescoes, murals, etc?”>>

“Stein” not “Steim” That meas “stone” in German.

Though not as impressive (excessive?) or concentrated, the old town in Luzern has a fair number. There also a few in Schwyz.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15478 posts
    18 January 2017 at 6:44:39 #858140

Hello luthienbabe,

The towns in the Lower and Upper Engadine like Zuoz are not similar to Stein am Rhein, very different actually, but well known for their houses with frescoes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2017 at 6:53:22 #858141

Thank you Arno and Slowpoke for the suggestions. And Slowpoke for the correction as well.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    18 January 2017 at 10:31:39 #858142

Hi,

Konstanz, which is just up the Rhine from Stein am Rhine, has a pretty town centre with buildings decorated in the Luftmalerei style. It’s right on the Swiss border on Lake Konstanz. Across the lake is the town of Meersburg, which is also very quaint, although on the German side of the lake.

Decorating a building with Luftmalerei is more of a German custom than Swiss, but there are many fine individual examples all over Switzerland

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2017 at 17:29:58 #858143

Hi there

I agree with Arno about the houses in the Engadine area which have a very distinctive style – we liked the ones in Scuol very much.

But if that area is too far from your base, I have another suggestion. We did a day trip last summer to Appenzell especially to look at the house decoration there and I have attached 3 pictures for you.

Best wishes

Maggie

• The thread ‘Similar towns to Stein am Rhein?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.