Lucerne to Montreux with stop Interlaken/Jungfrau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2015 at 14:28:31 #807829

we are travelling from lucerne to montreux on 8th september ( part of a 8 days trip in switzerland)

1. is it okay to start from lucerne at 9 am, travel by train to interlaken ( drop the baggage at the station) and take a trip to jungfrau and get back to interlaken by 3 pm and proceed to montreux by train ????

2. do we need any special gear at jungfrau /grindwald etc ..to hang around in snow at this time of year or wind jacket will do …. ( we are in our 60’s btw) ???

3. i have heard of a place called gimmerwald ….. any idea if its near by ..??

thnks …

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 August 2015 at 23:52:31 #845752

<<” 1postnew memberAug 26, 2015 – 2:28 PMwe are travelling from lucerne to montreux on 8th september ( part of a 8 days trip in switzerland)1.is it okay to start from lucerne at 9 am, travel by train to interlaken( drop the baggage at the station) and take a trip to jungfrau and getback to interlaken by 3 pm and proceed to montreux by train ????”>>

Without double checking the time table, it seems like it could be done. I’m guessing a 12 hour day. Hope I’m wrong.

Why would you compress so much stuff in so little time? This may help.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Jungfrau is a weather dependent objective. If you want to see the scenery, you need to pick a day with clear weather…or, plan on three days to wait around for good weather.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch

That is my reaction to your proposal. Others may differ.

<<“2.do we need any special gear at jungfrau /grindwald etc ..to hang aroundin snow at this time of year or wind jacket will do …. ( we are inour 60’s btw) ???”>>

You need layers for warmth and rain protection for cold rain.

Jungfrau and Grindelwald have a couple of thousand or more meters altitude difference. That, in turn, means substantial temperature differences. Each location will require different warmth in your garments, out doors.

<<“3. i have heard of a place called gimmerwald ….. any idea if its near by ..??”>>

It is. Above Stechelberg, below Mürren. This map will help.

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=155260.00&Y=632320.0 0&zoom=5&lang=de&topic =swisstopo&bgLayer=ch. swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

slowpoke

Arno
    15482 posts
    27 August 2015 at 4:09:34 #845753

My advice would be to depart 2 hours earlier and skip Gimmelwald. Just focus on your visit to Jungfraujoch; it will still be a very long day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2015 at 11:50:33 #845754

Have you looked at the journey times? I suggest you would need to leave Interlaken a couple of hours later as well as arriving earlier. Even taking on board Arno’s suggestion I reckon you might be returning from Jungfraujoch almost as soon as you get there. I think your journey times excluding the last leg to Montreux would total around 7 hours. I would plan a later departure from Interlaken and an alternative to Jungfraujoch in the event that you feel the weather at Jungfraujoch would make it not worthwhile, unless you are keen to go anyway. There is a variety of excellent options for spending a few hours from Interlaken.

Personally I wouldn’t worry too much about lots of extra clothing at Jungfraujoch as most of what you see/do there is, in fact, indoors, unless you are specifically aiming to go out onto the snow for any length of time.

I have used luggage lockers at Interlaken (Ost I think). You need the right change.

Have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2015 at 1:56:24 #845755

many thanks buddy for your suggestions , looks like jungfrau is not such a great idea given the overall time available and u seem to indicate that we could face a rather uncertain weather .. any suggestions to spend spend few hours ” while we break our journey” on the way to montreux from lucerne. reqst keep in mind that we are spending 2 nights in montreux , 2 in zermatt and 2 in st mortiz ..

so if u have a suggestion for a 3 hr stop over i will appreciate it ,

other wise we can go st to montreux and i am sure thats a very pleasant place to spend our day and soak in the tranquility of lake geneva ..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2015 at 2:00:34 #845756

tks for your response , u feel its going to be 12 hr day

i was thinking it can be done bet 8 or 9 ,, but if it means a 9 am to 9 pm day

i think we will skip it

any other suggestions for a stop over at interlaken around noon ?? for 2 or 3 hrs ..??

it helps to get in touch with reality …. tks

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 August 2015 at 20:25:32 #845757

Hi wanderer,

There are plenty of alternatives. They’re listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland/activiti es. If weather is good, you could visit the Schilthorn (still quite a long journey, but not as long as to the Jungfraujoch) or other viewing points like Brienzer Rothorn (to be reached from Brienz which is on the route from Lucerne to Interlaken), Schynige Platte, Männlichen or First, or just a round trip Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald. A boat trip between Brienz and Interlaken would be very nice too.

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Montreux with stop Interlaken/Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.