Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card, Jungfrau area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2018 at 17:39:22 #818675

Hello,

I’m debating between 8 day STP vs Half fare card. I love the convenience of STP but for our trips to Jungfrau Region Half fare care would save more for it offers 50% discount vs 25% with STP. Would you please let me know appx. what that 25% different equates to for 3 days in Jungfrau Region for a family of 4 (2 teens younger than 16)? Thank you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 October 2018 at 20:39:08 #897852

For an 8 day pass the 25% versus 50% difference should not be the deciding factor. The 25% STP discount only comes into play from Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch. The kids will be free as long as you get a Swiss Family Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard) with your STP or SHFC.

Which Pass best suits you depends on your overall itinerary.

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2018 at 5:50:50 #897853

Hi Shopper99,

I faced the same dilemma as you on 8D Swiss Travel Pass vs Swiss Half Fare Card for my 22 days + 1 (morning to Zurich airport) in Sept 2018.

While arriving Zurich airport then, I finally decided to get a 15D STP + another 8D STP bought at Montreux station (wanted to keep hard copy STP instead of online printed copy for my maiden Switzerland trip).

Though I would enjoy 50% at Jungfraujoch with SHFC, I would miss other free inclusive with STP – eg Schilthorn, Stanserhorn, Stoos, Mt Rigi, train rides from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald.

Personally, I was glad to buy both STP which allowed me to do few impromptu visits not initially planned due to cloudy/rain weather and proximity. Also, a night before I travelled from Chur to St Moritz (and to Tirano), seeing that there were 4 mountains above 3100m on the map, I decided on a slightly longer northwards scenic route from Chur via Lanquart to St Moritz. All these changes and last minute decisions were possible with the freedom and flexibility of using STP. Yes, very expensive though, but STP 2019 wouldn’t be better ;D

Above just my personal experience to share with you. Which Pass to buy depends on your family’s preference of destinations and activities, etc.

May I also take this opportunity to thank everyone using this superbly useful forum, which had in a way helped me so much in planning my Switzerland trip. THANK YOU!!!

best regards,

May

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2018 at 8:59:12 #897854

Glad to hear you found our forum so helpful for your trip planning May!

Some great tips for Shopper99 as well.

As Rockoyster and May note, it really depends on the day to day itinerary in Switzerland before once can find which pass is most economical.

Plus I think even if the Swiss Travel Pass is a little more expensive, the convenience factor makes up for it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2018 at 15:37:51 #897855

Thank you all, you’ve made my decision much easier. Yes, I agree with May, the forum with a team of dedicated experts and experienced contributors, is an excellent place to get answers relating to Switzerland. Thanks a lot for solving my dilemmas

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card, Jungfrau area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.