Train pass strictly for the Jungfrau area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 22:24:19 #811988

We are starting in Lauterbrunnen (by car- so no rail passes). 8 of us. Staying in Wengen. First afternoon Wengen to Mannlichen hike to KS then back to Wengen. Day two: (only full day) Wengen to First – spend the day. Likely go thru KS on the way there. I THINK by looking at the map a Jungfrau pass covers this?? /we will buy the Adventure pass but I can’t find info on that either. Last day: Wengen to Schilthorn. I think the Jungfrau pass covers us to Murren then we buy the rest of the way. My confusion is that there is lots of swiss rail pass info, and lots of Berner Oberland pass info…… but VERY LIttle listed about the Jungfrau pass. Which I assumed would make the most sense for us. HELP please.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    27 May 2017 at 5:02:10 #864003

Welcome to MySwissAlps Suzanne!

Our website site offers information about all the rail passes you mentioned (how they work, a map of what’s included, where to buy):

Please let me know which details are missing and I’ll be glad to help you out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2017 at 10:45:42 #864004

Thank you for your swift response. My confusion, I guess NOW lies in: When I follow that link and add the 8 passengers including their ages (ranging from 15-60) in on the Viator site, my price came out to $1512.88. When I just go to the Jungfrau,ch site my price is $1,324.86. Is there a benefit from buying it thru Viator? If I keep watching the net, will there be promo codes I could act on? Like anyone, I would like to check that box and have that part of the trip settled, but obviously can’t throw money away. Why are some companies more than others? And what is the benefit of going thru a third party at all? Thank you in advance for your time.

Arno
    15482 posts
    27 May 2017 at 14:16:16 #864005

Hi Suzanne,

It’s pretty hard to determine what a third party is when it comes to rail passes. Most passes allow you to travel on routes operated by several companies, so wherever you buy from, it’s almost always a third party in some way. Passes can be purchased from many retailers/travel agencies and everyone sets their own prices. Not different from buying anything else really, like plane tickets or home appliances. You’ll find some background information here: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/wheretobuy.

Now in this case the difference is less than $30. Viator does not sell the correct child passes (CHF 30, this would apply to the 15 year old). That’s why you are getting a significant difference.

• Viator.com: seven 3-day Jungfrau Travel Passes for the adults are $1323.77. You can buy the child pass locally for CHF 30/$30.82). So the total is $1354.59.
    • Jungfrau site/local purchase: the seven passes are CHF 1260 + CHF 30 for the child is CHF 1290 ($ 1325.16)

These are today’s prices and exchange rates. It could be different tomorrow, or later if you decide to buy locally.

• The thread ‘Train pass strictly for the Jungfrau area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.