Studying in Lausanne, which train pass & trips?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 10:29:53 #810060

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend is studying in Lausanne for 3 months (until the end of November) and I’m visiting her several weekends. We’re using the 2 days to visit various places in Switzerland. We’ve already visited Bern and we loved the city center.

Due to the 19th of September holiday in Lausanne we’re planning a “bigger” (still small) trip to the alps. I’m Portuguese and I never visited Switzerland so I’m pretty lost in making some decisions:

1. Should I buy a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass? I’m landing in Geneva and going on train to Lausanne. Then, I’ll have to catch the metro in the Lausanne-gare and a bus to reach my girlfriend house. I’m referring this because I think that I could buy a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass and use it in my commutes for the 3 days right?

2. We were thinking in catching the Glacier Express and do the route between Zermatt and St. Moritz. I’m now rethinking this because the train take 7 hours to complete the journey and after we arrive in St. Moritz I would have to sleep there. I’ve seen a lot of reviews talking about the Glacier Express saying it’s not worth the money and it’s preferable to just use regular trains and visit the small alpine villages and enjoy local life. Do you guys think I should do the Glacier Express or, since I’m only able to travel between Saturday and Monday, I should visit some place else near Lausanne?

3. I see that there are other train scenic routes in Switzerland. Is any of the other better than the Glacier Express to sight-see the alps in 2 days?

4. Finally, what itinerary would you guys recommend for a Saturday-Monday trip in the alps? I LOVE the alpine scenery. I’m a skier and I love mountains. My girlfriend does too. When we see images online of the alps we are completely astonished by its beauty. I really would like to spend the 2-3 days in the middle of the alps, allowing me to visit some of the most beautiful locations. This doesn’t have to happen all this weekend. There will be other weekends to visit other places. Also, I should refer that we love to travel by train.

I’m sorry for the big post. Please help me find a itinerary for the 3 day weekend in the alps.

Thank you so much for all the help I could get!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 September 2016 at 9:24:38 #855810

Hi jncunha, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You have a really good opportunity to see Switzerland, I’m sure you will enjoy it. As for your questions:

1. That depends on your travel plans. If you plan to travel a lot during 3 days, then that’s indeed the best option. If you are 25 are younger you can get the cheaper Youth version. Please find all details here:

2. That’s a personal preference. I like the Glacier Express. It’s a wonderful ride, but indeed you should spend a night in or near St. Moritz. Then take a different route back for variety. Note that the Glacier Express operates until October 23. You don’t have to board in Zermatt, you can do so in Brig as well to shorten the trip. Of course there’s plenty to see closer to Lausanne as well:

3. Which one is better is a matter of personal opinions. Different people will give you different answers. Please see for yourself what you like best: myswissalps.com/activi ties/scenictrips/train.

4. Please check the links in my previous answers. Lots of options there. Just let us know if any questions remain. One more tip: check the timetable for trips you intend to make. Trains that connect towns run all year round, but cableways may stop operating after mid October until the winter or until next spring.

• The thread ‘Studying in Lausanne, which train pass & trips?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.