Suggestions for hikes in late April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2011 at 4:21:54 #804184

Hello!
    I would appreciate any suggestions you all have for some hikes in late April, I would like to do the pass Gstaad to Montreaux but as i understand it is too early. So where else can i go to get beautiful views and varied terrain?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 March 2011 at 12:09:45 #832417

Hi erica.gale! April is too early for pass routes indeed. Passes will still be covered in snow and legs of the route may either be blocked, or accessible but dangerous. So you’re better off searching for hikes at lower altitude, but these can be stunning as well. Some relatively easy hikes are listed at our Wallis hiking page (if this is the region you’re aiming at). Please note though that some cable cars and mountain trains won’t be operating yet. An alternative to the Gstaad-Montreux route you have in mind may be the western leg of the Via Jacobi. This is a relatively easy route at lower altitude, part of which runs along Lake Geneva. Regional and national routes can be found at the Wanderland Schweiz website. There are height profiles available, helping you to decide whether the route is suitable for hiking in late April.

Best regards,

• The thread ‘Suggestions for hikes in late April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.