Suggestions for scenic drive and train trip

• sally2311
    Participant
    5 posts
    3 February 2013 at 4:12:32 #805795

My boyfriend and I are planning our 2nd holiday to the Bernese Oberland in August and wanted some advice about scenic drives. My mother is from Switzerland and we spent a lot of our childhood there and I can remember by Grandparents taking us for days in the car on scenic routes, but I can’t remember where we went! We are staying on Beatenberg and wondered where we would be best to go for a day of chilled out, at our own pace sightseeing in the car. Also, I was planning for us to do a train trip and was thinking the Golden line from Interlaken but wondered which was the most scenic direction? Zweissimen or Luzern? We are going to buy the half fare card as we did this last time and having the car meant we mostly used the funiculars and cable cars and this worked best for us.
    Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Sally.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 February 2013 at 14:43:44 #838070

Hi Sally! Scenic car trips can be made over the several mountain passes. Consider the Brünig Pass from Meiringen to Lucerne for example, the road up to Axalp near Brienz and the bus ride up from Meiringen to Grosse Scheidegg and down to Grindelwald. You could also make a longer tour, combining three passes in one day, as described here.

The Golden Pass line is great in both directions. If you want to combine this trip with another activity, such as a city visit, a viewing point or a lake tour, Interlaken-Lucerne might make more sense. Note that you’ll have to make seat reservations in advance.

Further information and purchase options for the Swiss Half Fare Card can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2013 at 14:49:56 #838071

Annika,,

We are planning a similar driving holiday to Sally’s from Northern Italy (Lake Como) to the Swiss Alps. Would like to spend a night or two if needed in St Moritz/Pontresina, etc. or other recommended scenic towns. Considering a one day “Bernina Express” scenic rail trip if possible. So main question would be a suggested iternary from Lake Como after which we would be driving to Nice.(Cote de Azur area).

Regards, Bill

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 February 2013 at 14:17:50 #838072

Welcome Bill. How long should your car trip through Switzerland be? Do you only plan on the few overnight stays near St. Moritz, or do you have more days and nights available? Is it your goal to cross as much of Switzerland as possible, or would you be satisfied with a few mountain regions only?

• The thread ‘Suggestions for scenic drive and train trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.