Suggestions for Swiss trip Oct-9 to Oct 25

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2015 at 2:16:46 #807999

Hello,

I found this website and the suggestions very useful. Thanks !

We (my wife and myself) will be landing in Paris on 9th, travel to Rome OR Venice on 12th (by flight) and then move northwards to Lugano and take train from Tirano to explore Swiss (Bernina Line and Glacier Express Line) from 16th on-wards. I plan to reach Montreaux by 22nd. I plan to stop for 2-3 nights at one or two places: once on the Bernina Line and once on Glacier Line and explore the local region by Bus/Train. We would like to take the cable cars where possible, go on short walks into country side or even a short hike (1-2 hrs) while we are in these places or go to a farm.

We prefer to stay in smaller towns and villages (reachable by public transport) to enjoy the scenic views of the valley and alps and know the culture a little better.

I saw this link here: http://www.myswissalps.com/up perengadine/hotels and this gives some idea.

Does anyone have suggestions for scenic places and hotels where we can stopover and explore?

I believe the weather may be cloudy and somewhat cold (for us Indians). How long will be the day (when will be the sunset during this period)? Are these days ok to for sightseeing?

Thanks !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 September 2015 at 9:15:26 #846369

Welcome to MySwissAlps deepakgh!

The St. Moritz area would be a wonderful region to explore. If you prefer smaller towns you may like nearby Samedan, Celerina and Pontresina. Zermatt, on the other end of the Glacier Express line, is stunning too. I’d suggest to first find one or two towns to stay, and then open a new thread for hotel suggestions (include dates, budget, preferred location, etc.).

The towns mentioned above are located in a high altitude so indeed chilly if you’re not used to that. But whether it will be cloudy, rainy or sunny is too early to tell. If you watch the forecast a few days ahead you’ll get an idea. Watch it again the prior evening to be sure and adapt your plans if necessary.

There will be daylight from around 8 AM to 6:30 PM, so still plenty of time to explore.

I hope this gets you started!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 September 2015 at 15:17:27 #846370

<<“I believe the weather may be cloudy and somewhat cold (for us Indians).”>>

Hi Deepakgh –

It won’t be warm, but St. Moritz is proud of having an extremely high proportion of sunny days each year. That will help your chances.. No promises. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Suggestions for Swiss trip Oct-9 to Oct 25’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.