Suitable scenic train journey for my itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2011 at 4:32:59 #804664

Hi All,

It’s gonna be my first visit to swiitzerland with my wife and 22 months old son. I couldn’t work out which scenic train journey (I’ll prefer bernina) i can fit in my itinerary especially without doing long journeys to get to the scenic train. We’ll be free after 1pm on 13 Sep and my flight back to london is at 3:30pm on 15 Sep. Please advise:

9 Sep, Friday
    – 11pm Flight landed at Zurich
    – Hotel/B&B (Zurich)

10 Sep, Sat (Zurich/Lucern)
    – Rhine Fall
    – Train to Lucern (1 hr)
    – Lion Monument/Chapel Bridge/Lake Lucern
    – Hotel/B&B (Lucern)

11 Sep, Sun (Lucern/Wengen)
    – Titlis or Pilatus or Rigi?
    – Train to Wengen (3 hr)
    – Hotel/B&B (Wengen)

12 Sep, Mon (Wengen)
    – Lauterbrunen falls (Trummelbach Falls, Reichenbach Falls)
    – Look around for breathtaking views
    – Hotel/B&B (Wengen)

13 Sep, Tue (Wengen/?)
    – Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch? (hopefully will be done with it by 1pm, so we’re free after that)
    – CONFUSED: Scenic Train to destination for either bernina, glacier, golden line?
    – Hotel/B&B (?)

14 Sep Wed (?)

– Reserved for selected scenic train journey

– Hotel/B&B (?)

15 Sep Thur (Zurich)
    – Train to Zurich

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 August 2011 at 10:17:28 #834091

Hi farazfastian, and welcome to the forum! You could manage to take the Bernina Express trip. In that case, you’d have to leave from Wengen at September 13 and travel to St. Moritz or a nearby town. That’s quite a long journey though, so you’d have to be fine with leaving in the early afternoon and/or arriving late in St. Moritz. At September 14, you could take the Bernina Express to Tirano and back. September 15 would consist of your train trip back to Zurich. However, it’s easier to travel part of the Glacier Express (travel to Brig first, then get on the Glacier Express and travel onto Andermatt for example) or the Golden Pass between Interlaken, Meiringen and Lucerne.

The timetable is great for planning such trips. It’ll help you find out about traveling times and decide which option appeals to you most.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2011 at 7:24:49 #834092

Yeah thats my worry especialy with 22 months old son, it’s gonna be lot of travelling BUT the question is, the other easier routes you’ve mentioned are they equally scenic as Bernina?

Also based on my itinerary, is it worth getting swiss plus pass? If yes, does it cover all three like Bernina, Glacier and Golden line?

Apologies for so many questions, but i haven’t got much time left, haven’t book anything else apart from the flight.

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2011 at 7:53:28 #834093

What about this plan:

13 Sep
    Take train from wengen to chur (4.5 hrs)
    overnight in Chur

14 Sep
    Take Bernina from Chur to Tirano then bus to Lugano (almost whole day)
    overnight in Lugano

15 Sep
    Take train from Lugano to Zurich (2.5 hrs)

Still lot of travelling though.

Annika
    7116 posts
    31 August 2011 at 8:25:04 #834094

Hello farazfastian. You’re right, that’s still a lot of traveling. If you want to make shorter rides, just go for the Glacier Express or Golden Pass route. They’re all different, but beautiful in their own way.

A Swiss Saver Pass is definitely worth your money, since you plan on making long and expensive train rides. The scenic train rides are all included, you only have to pay a separate seat reservation fee in some cases. If you’re leaving soon, you may have to hurry ordering the pass online: in many cases this is a lot cheaper than buying your passes locally in Switzerland. Just enter your country of residence, number of travelers and the right pass variant in the upper right corner of the Swiss Pass page for an overview of resellers and prices. Information on shipping is displayed there as well if you click ‘Show more information’.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2011 at 4:27:13 #834095

Is Glacier train from Visp to Chur is reallty scenic? as this is looking shorter route to me and i can easily take train from chur to zurich afterwards. Thanks

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 September 2011 at 2:03:24 #834096

Yes, that’s a great scenic route. Enjoy your further planning and your trip!

• The thread ‘Suitable scenic train journey for my itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.