Summary of 2015 trip by Maggie

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2015 at 17:42:57 #807841

Hello everyone

As promised my final report on this year’s Swiss adventure

If you have read my previous post you will be aware of the health problems I have had which had a major effect on our plans but nevertheless we had a great holiday. To pick up from where I left off in my last report, Mike really enjoyed his solo trips to Ballenberg and Windisch. Ballenberg is a great experience if you find the weather is not suitable for mountain excursions – we have visited it several times over the years as there is so much to see and you never feel as if you have seen everything. Entrance fees are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass too.

Mike also enjoyed his visit to Windisch – we both used to be teachers of Classics and find that the Swiss are really good at showing off their Roman sites – everything is displayed in an interesting and informative fashion.

The following day I was feeling quite well rested so we embarked on a trip which would not require too much energy on my part! We went by train to Meiringen from where we took the postbus up to Grosse Scheidegg – we love the postbus routes as they wend their way up those narrow, steep, winding roads, sounding their horns to warn other motorists they are coming! Those drivers are so skilful. We had lunch in Grosse Scheidegg before taking the Grindelwald Bus down to Grindelwald where we enjoyed ice cream before taking the trains back to Thun.

The next day we went on a long excursion involving 4 trains in each direction! Thun to Bern, Bern to Zurich, Zurich to Chur and finally Chur to Arosa. It’s a long trip but we feel it is worth it because Arosa is well worth a visit. We took the gondola ride up to Weisshorn where the views are fantastic. It is so peaceful and quiet compared with Schilthorn for example but we think the views are just as good. The restaurant at the top is superb, far better than most mountaintop restaurants in our opinion. The only slight problem was that being not yet fully fit I did feel the effects of the altitude when we first got to the top but it was only temporary and didn’t spoil the day. We were a bit concerned that the trains between Chur and Arosa were running late all day with long hold-ups en route which wasn’t too much of a problem on the outward trip but coming back our connection time in Chur was cut short so we just made it to the train to Zurich. We certainly recommend Arosa and Weisshorn as a great day out if you are staying close enough to get there.The next two days of our stay the weather was very hot again so I didn’t want to risk getting overheated again and rested up though Mike went off to wander round Wilderswil for the afternoon one day.

So to sum up – our holiday despite all the problems was as ever a great experience – the Swiss Travel Pass was good value even though we didn’t do all the trips we hoped to do and we were glad we took 1st class as we spent quite a bit of time enjoying the less crowded upper decks on boats. We have nothing but high praise for the staff at the hospital in Thun and our hosts were very kind to us as they always are – even bringing me a bunch of flowers to cheer me up!

We have already booked next year’s holiday! We are doing things slightly differently next year to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary! I have booked a room in a hotel in St. Moritz right by the lake for our first week then we will take the Glacier Express to Brig and train on to Thun to stay in the holiday apartment for 3 weeks. We haven’t been to the Graubünden area since our first Swiss visit in 2001 so are looking forward to that very much. Nearer to the time I may have questions for you as we don’t know that area as well as we do the places within reach of Thun!

Our thanks as ever to the forum, especially to Arno and Annika for all the useful links and good advice. Best wishes to all

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    30 August 2015 at 10:43:03 #845794

Hi Maggie!

Thanks for sharing your latest travel experiences. I’m glad to hear you’ve once again enjoyed your stay in Thun so much, in spite of your health problems. That’s one of the (many :-)) advantages of a longer stay: you were still able to make lots of day trips. I hope you’re fully recovered now. The Weisshorn is pretty indeed! It must have been a long trip all the way from Thun, but I agree it’s worth it on clear days.

Great that you’re already planning your next trip. St. Moritz and the Engadine are wonderful. We’ve recently spent a couple of weeks there again and I’m sure you’ll enjoy the landscape and the peace and quiet there in Summer months. We’re happy to help you out if any questions occur!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2015 at 14:23:52 #845795

Hi Annika

Thanks for your reply – I’m close to being fit again, thank you. As you say, a long visit does allow for changes to a plan and we did still enjoy our holiday.

Arosa is indeed a long trip from Thun – 4 hours and 4 trains in each direction – but we rarely use trains back here in the UK so actually enjoy the travelling as much as what we do on arrival at our destination – it doesn’t feel like a long journey for some reason – perhaps because it’s a novelty for us!. We will probably return to Arosa from St. Moritz next year as it’s only a 3 hour trip from there!

We are looking forward to being in the Engadine again. Last time we were intrigued by the lovely buildings in Scuol – so different from the Bernese Oberland – we went by train and stopped off a couple of times on the way, in Zuos and Zernez, and it was a lovely day out. We also went to Piz Corvatz one day. One day we used the bus to go Maloja and stopped off at Silva Plana. We were only there a few days so next year will have a bit more time to explore. We are interested in the Bernina Express to Tirano and possibly the bus from there to Lugano – still looking at how to do that – again it would be a long day but the experience will focus on the travelling I guess.

Thanks again for help and advice from everyone.

Maggie

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    10 September 2015 at 14:36:41 #845796

Hi Maggie,

Sorry for the late reaction, but as always I enjoyed your trip report. The Engadine is great too, we were there a couple of times. It’s a nice change from the Bernese Oberland (just joking ;)). I’m sure you will find out how to go places. The Swiss travel system also works in the Engadine…

I hope you’re completely well by now!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2015 at 15:40:13 #845797

Hi Olga

It’s good to hear from you again. I am recovered now thank you and saving the trips I planned but couldn’t do this year for next year’s trip!

I have already started researching for the Engadine part of our holiday and have lots of ideas. We are looking forward to being there again as we only had 3 days to explore the first and only time we have been in that area.

It would be good to have your new email address so we can resume our correspondence.

Best wishes

Maggie

• The thread ‘Summary of 2015 trip by Maggie’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.