Sunny day trip around Lake Geneva & Vevey

• Arno
    15471 posts
    29 April 2016 at 18:12:03 #809049

Hello everyone,

We spent a wonderful day in the surroundings of Vevey on Lake Geneva. The sunny spring weather resulted in perfect views of the region.

We started by taking the cogwheel train from Vevey via Blonay to Les Pléiades. A very scenic ride to a hikers paradise. No hiking for us this time; we just had a cup of coffee in the restaurant and enjoyed the view, as far as the Mont Blanc.

Next, we took the funicular from Vevey up to Mont-Pèlerin. We hiked further up the mountain to the TV tower Plein Ciel, where one can take the lift to the observation platform for a great 360° view.

The day was finished off at the terrace of restaurant à l'Aigle gourmand, right next to the funicular station of Mont-Pèlerin. The staff was kind enough to prepare us a salad and fries, even though we came when their kitchen was closed, between lunch and dinner time.

We’ll add more details about these trips to the website later. A few images are attached.

Kind regards,

Arno & Annika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2016 at 16:11:15 #851378

Hello Arno and Annika

What lovely photos! The weather was clearly kind to you that day. We have not visited Vevey so you have aroused an interest in going there as we are always looking for new places to visit. I shall now investigate further, using the timetable.

I appreciate as we should all do the fact you are continuing to advise and answer questions while you are yourselves on holiday. Thank you.

I hope you enjoyed (or are still enjoying ) your stay.

Best wishes

Maggie

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 May 2016 at 17:19:29 #851379

Thanks for your message Maggie. We’re having a great time. Glad to hear you have another day trip to add to your wish list!

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    1 May 2016 at 17:46:18 #851380

Hi Arno and Annika,

Thank you for your report and for the lovely photos. I only know this region from passing by by train a few tiimes.

But your report and photos surely make me more curious about this part of Switzerland.

Is it a problem if you don’t speak French around there? Can you manage with German and/or English?

Have a great time!

Wandermann

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 May 2016 at 18:29:49 #851381

You’re welcome Wandermann! English works better than German in western Switzerland (at least that’s our experience). English is fine in touristy places like train stations, museums, etc. The staff in less touristic places like gas stations and shops often speak French only or limited English. It works fine though for the very short conversations one need to have.

Arthur
    Participant
    15 posts
    2 May 2016 at 3:37:21 #851382

Great photos. I really am interested in hearing more about day trips in the French part. Since we will be staying around Gsteig bei Gstaad for two weeks in July, we thought we might explore the area around Montreux and the lake. Is there parking at these funicular rail stations?

AL

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 May 2016 at 7:19:28 #851383

Thanks AL. We’ll add more information later. For now, this page is a starting point for the region. Do indeed visit this region as well while in Gsteig for two weeks. Take the train if you can; the Golden Pass line is wonderful. There are parking places at many locations but not everywhere. And it’s expensive if you don’t prepare. We usually travel by train. We recently paid CHF 19 for a couple of hours of parking while on a day trip. CHF 10 or so on another occasion. That was a discounted price because we also purchased a train ticket for the day. CHF 7 for a day is about the lowest price available for train travelers parking at the station. Prices rapidly go up from there.

• The thread ‘Sunny day trip around Lake Geneva & Vevey’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.