Sunny days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2011 at 12:47:37 #804716

Hello,

I am from Brazil and planning a trip to Switzerland next holiday, between june and september 2012, but in doubt about the exact period.
    I know the weather is unpredictable, but, from these months, I would like to know if there is one that I would have more probability of getting nicer weather with sunny days. Just an opinion sent from someone from Switzerland!
    Everything I have seen about Switzerland is very beautiful but in a sunny day everything is spetacular!
    So, as I can choose any period between these months I would appreciate a opinion.
    I will spend half of my days in cities and half hiking – the trip will take aprox. 20/25 days.

Thank you very much !

Ricardo

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    22 September 2011 at 11:13:45 #834237

Hi Ricardo:

I’ve been to Switzerland 15 times during the summer and have always found that September is the best weather (of course, one can never predict as you note). In the Bernese Oberland (which I think is the most stunning, scenery-wise) it is usually in the low 70s (Farenheit) during the day with cooler evenings. It is usually drier than other summer months. And the summer tourist crowds have all gone home.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    25 September 2011 at 12:54:29 #834238

Hello, rmarruda,

By now I’ve been visiting Switzerland during all seasons. The charms of being there during late summer/early fall are indeed the chance of nice weather (however: nobody can tell you anything for sure!) and the fact that high season is over and it will be very much less crowded, which my wife and I consider a blessing. Maybe September is just a bit early fot the beautiful fall colours. On the other hand: I’ve spent the months of July and August in Switzerland without any drop of rain. So well, there you go…
    This year there has been snow in September up to an altitude of (I guess) 1700 m. But at this very moment the weather there is very nice. This means nothing for 2012 of course!

You don’t ask about favourite areas in Switzerland, but if I may: the Bernese Oberland is our all-time number one, just a little bit higher rated than Graubünden. But we love Wallis very much as well. This does’nt make it much easier for you, does it? 😉

I hope this helps you to decide when and where to visit this beautiful country,

Enjoy,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2011 at 14:53:47 #834239

Hi Ricardo, I agree with some others, September is a good chance for consistent good weather[unfortunately, never any guarantees] I’ve been to the Bernese oberland area 12 times, usually use it as a base for travel. Not knowing how u travel, u may want to check out swissbackpackers.com for accomodations and any research can be done using .ch[interlaken.ch] I spent a month there 5 years ago and you never tire of the lovely scenery. Good luck and safe travelling rahman

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2011 at 7:57:09 #834240

Thanks every body for the tips – very usefull for me.
    Just one question more. In september the snow has already gone ??? I would like to see the scenery with some snow as I have seen in many pictures – not so much because I am planning to hike also! Because of this I was strongly thinking about going on mid june. But if in september I will get the scenery with still some snow, I would change the month. I have been travelling a lot in september and I love it, but, when I went to the canadian rockies in september 2009, there were no snow any more – a bit disapointing, but even so, the scenery was stunning. And sunny days only – fantastic. In Switzerland I really would like to see the scenry with snow. Is it ther still in september ??? and what about june ?
    Thanks a lot every body.
    Ricardo.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    26 September 2011 at 11:17:07 #834241

There’s always snow in Switzerland. The higher you go, the more snow!
    So just make some plans, visit Jungfraujoch for example, or Schilthorn. There will defenitely be snow!!

• The thread ‘Sunny days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.