Is only the train included in Super saver tickets?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2016 at 20:15:57 #808440

Hi, posted previously about car v travel pass with a loose iternary based around Lugano. Since posting and getting some good advice, I have hurt my back and we are reluctant to commit to the 3 day Swiss pass in case we cannot do 3 full days of travelling. We are going to commit to 1 day drip from Lugano to Luzern and possibly try and get to Pilatus Kulem, it’s a long day, but if this is in the only day we manage, we want to get the most out of it.

If we book super saver tickets, do they only cover the rail part of the journey?

Can these be purchased the day before?

Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 February 2016 at 9:27:24 #848532

Hi mrandmrsd,

That would make a wonderful day trip. Especially if you start early as that gives you time to follow the Wilhelm Tell route either to or from Luzern (this route includes a boat). Supersaver tickets are non-refundable tickets for trains only, and only valid for one specific train. You could use it for the morning trip if you don’t opt for the boat, but it would be kind of limiting on the way back because of the fixed departure time. Please see here for details and links.

I did a quick check and your plans would cost around CHF 192 p.p. with just trains and the cable car. Possibly a bit more with the boat. If you buy a Swiss Half Fare Card, this day trip alone would bring you close to the break even point. Without limitations on particular trains, and with the option to do somethig else with a 50% discount too. So that’s another option.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

• The thread ‘Is only the train included in Super saver tickets?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.