Surcharge on Lake Zürich trips from 11 Dec 2016

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2016 at 13:06:40 #810318

It seems that all passengers on ZSG ships on Lake Zürich will have to pay a surcharge from 11 December 2016. I have only been able to find the information in German, but this is the gist of what it says, to the best of my understanding:

– Surcharge is CHF 5 per passenger on ZSG ships

– Everyone needs 2 tickets: a normal ticket (or pass, I presume) for the appropriate zones, plus a ticket for the CHF 5 surcharge, otherwise you are considered to be travelling without a valid ticket

– Surcharge tickets can be bought in ticket machines, at counters, by SMS, on board and in the SBB Ticket Shop

– No reductions in the surcharge for children up to 16 years old, Half-fare Card or GA passholders. (I suspect this will also apply to holders of the Swiss Travel Pass, although it is not stated.)

– The surcharge is not included in the ZürichCARD, and must be bought separately

– There are some exceptions for children up to 6 years old, and children travelling on Juniorkarte, Enkelkarte, Kinder-Mitfahrkarte. (I’m not certain what the official English names for these cards are)

– The surcharge ticket is valid for a calendar day (till 5 am the following morning), not for a 24-hour period

Hopefully there will be an official page in English before the surcharge comes into effect.

The German-language page is at:

http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/de/abos -und-tickets/tickets/zsg-schiffszuschlag.html#

There is also a link on that page to FAQs, also in German

Alpenrose

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 November 2016 at 16:29:52 #856949

Thank you Alpenrose. It’s the first time I heard about it. I’ll see if I can get some additional information.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 November 2016 at 13:13:38 #856950

Hi again Alpenrose,

It appears that it was the canton of Zürich who made the decision to introduce this surcharge. It’s too bad as it complicates things, and of course it’s costing extra. I have updated our Lake Zurich page. The English information from the boat company itself is here: http://www.zsg.ch/en/zsg-surcharge.html.

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 May 2018 at 8:13:36 #856951

Hi Alpenrose and others,

The surcharge has been discontinued as of March 30, 2018. A wise decision I think! The boats are completely free again with a Swiss Travel Pass:

http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakezurich/tickets

• The thread ‘Surcharge on Lake Zürich trips from 11 Dec 2016’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.