Will the Susten Pass be open late May?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2016 at 7:59:05 #808779

Hello!

Planning a roadtrip through Susten pass May 20. Is this pass open at this time?

If not, which are?

Thank you!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 April 2016 at 8:24:20 #850164

Welcome kosara2!

Please see myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/sustenpass-when-accessible-how-long-a-drive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2016 at 8:31:45 #850165

Thank you.

so it looks like it will be closed until June. What are some passes that opens i May and is considered a beautiful roadtrip With the car?

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 April 2016 at 7:53:32 #850166

Hi kosara2,

The link under “More on other websites” on myswissalps.com/car/tr afficinfo provides details. Click “Pässe in der Schweiz”. Unfortunately it’s only in German but you can have it translated by your browser if you don’t read German. It’s a bit hard to provide a suggestion as I don’t know how long and where you will stay. In any case May is not the best season for road trips as all the higher passes could be closed, although that’s not sure, so you’d best plan when you’re there and conditions are known. The page I gave you shows current road conditions. Nearly all passes are interesting scenery wise, but the lower ones which are always open (e.g. the Brünigpass) are very different from the higher ones. The Klausenpass should also open somewhere in May. You can also opt for a scenic train ride. They operate all year round.

Do you know how to drive in the mountains? If not, be sure to read this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2016 at 11:56:19 #850167

I am planning on spending 1 day through some passes and Switzerland. I was thinking sleeping there. From there on I will head towards Milano and Nice. Oberalppass looks like it will be open in May. Is this worth the drive?

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 April 2016 at 13:20:06 #850168

All the passes are worth the drive. The Oberalp Pass is not guaranteed to be open, but late May you have a pretty good chance. After that you could take the Julier Pass, which is open all year round and spend the night in the St. Moritz region. The next day the Maloja Pass take you into Chiavenna in Italy.

• The thread ‘Will the Susten Pass be open late May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.