Susten Pass by Post Bus Interlaken to Lugano

• Klord54
    Participant
    2 posts
    18 July 2017 at 11:11:45 #812657

Hi All,

First I would like to thank all of you for the wealth of information on this website and for the ongoing forums. I have been following the forums for the last 9 months as we plan our trip to Switzerland in early September.

We will be flying into Zurich, planning 3 nights in Lucerne, 6 nights in Wengen, then traveling to Varenna Italy.

My question is I see a route on SBB to travel from Wengen to Lugano via Goschenen leaving Wengen on September 11 at 7am that connects with Post bus 162 in Meringen then connects back to a train in Goschenen. I believe this bus route goes over the Susten path.

Do we need to reserve the post bus ahead of time? Is this route a good option? We would love to hear from anyone who has taken this route.. It appears the scenery would be beautiful.

When we connect to the train in Goschenen, is this an easy connection from bus to train? Will this be a scenic portion of the Gotthard route on the regional trains or will we miss the best part of the route that starts in Flulen? Our other options are all train connections to Lugano by going back to Lucerne and we thought it would be good to experience a different route. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 23:51:21 #867014

Hi Klord, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> early September… 6 nights in Wengen, then traveling to Varenna Italy… travel from Wengen to Lugano via Goschenen leaving Wengen on September 11 at 7am that connects with Post bus 162 in Meringen then connects back to a train in Goschenen. I believe this bus route goes over the Susten path.

Yes, PostBus route 162 does go from Meiringen over the Susten Pass and you can get off at Göschenen railway station. (You also have a 16 minute break near the top of the pass at Steingletscher, where you change to the Andermatt bus.)

>> Do we need to reserve the post bus ahead of time?

No.

>> Is this route a good option? We would love to hear from anyone who has taken this route.. It appears the scenery would be beautiful.

The scenery is indeed beautiful. I have travelled over the Susten Pass as part of the “Vierpässefahrt” (Four Passes Trip), a round trip on the PostBus from Meiringen. You can see my photos of this section of the trip on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/postbus-through-four-passes-of-the-central-alps

>> When we connect to the train in Goschenen, is this an easy connection from bus to train?

It should be. The PostBus stops outside Göschenen railway station. Just make sure you remind the driver that you need to get your luggage out from the luggage compartment under the bus.

>> Will this be a scenic portion of the Gotthard route on the regional trains or will we miss the best part of the route that starts in Flulen?

Both routes are scenic, but the Susten Pass trip is far more dramatic.

>> Our other options are all train connections to Lugano by going back to Lucerne and we thought it would be good to experience a different route.

You could also go via Domodossola, but it would take longer.

As you are spending 6 nights in Wengen, another option would be to spend one of those days doing the “Vierpässefahrt” (Four Passes Trip) as a roundtrip from Meiringen, without luggage. Reservations are highly recommended and can be made online:

http://www.postauto.ch/en/exc ursion-tips/central-alps-passes-grimsel-nufenen-gotthard-susten-pass-route

Alpenrose

Klord54
    Participant
    2 posts
    19 July 2017 at 21:24:29 #867015

Thank you Alpenrose,for the detailed information and your lovely photos. Quite dramatic scenery! You have helped us make a decision to take this route to Lugano. We are looking forward to exploring beautiful Switzerland!

• The thread ‘Susten Pass by Post Bus Interlaken to Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.