Swiss 3 day pass or Jungfrau Pass (10-12 Sept)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2016 at 9:55:24 #809996

Guys, need some advice:

We are a group of 6 adults travelling across Europe from 11 – 21 Sept 2016.

10 Sept – travel by train from Freiburg (Germany) to Murren via Interlaken OST then go up Mount Schiltorn. Spend night in Murren

11 Sept – Check out. Take cable car/train to Lauterbrunnen, dump luggage in storage then go up Jungfrau. COme down late afternoon, collect luggage at Lauterbrunnen and then go to Zurich. Spend the night in Zurich city.

12 Sept – Take train to Zurich airport. Fly off at 8am to Naples, Italy

For this plan, would you recommend a Swiss 3 Day travel pass or a Jungfrau pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 August 2016 at 12:22:47 #855550

Hi Adrian98, thanks for your post!

You can best choose from 3-day Swiss Travel Passes or Swiss Half Fare Cards. The Jungfrau Travel Pass wouldn’t be a good idea as it doesn’t include the Schilthorn, and you would still need full priced tickets to and from the area.

Please find additional information here:

The Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card can be printed at home through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. That way you don’t loose time in Basel and you can change straight to your next train. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass in 1 to 3 business days (no delivery fees), so be sure to order in time.

You’ll find hotels in Zurich here: myswissalps.com/ zurich/hotels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2016 at 14:12:00 #855551

Thanks for your prompt response

1. Which would be a better /cheaper option for us? The Swiss Travel Pass or the Half Fare Pass?

2. Assuming I take the Swiss 3 day pass or the Half Fare Card and based on my itinerary above, which sectors would I need to pay and how much would each sector cost for the 3 days?

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 August 2016 at 14:46:38 #855552

You’re welcome!

1. The Swiss Travel Pass is more convenient as it allows you to board many trains for free, so not tickets to buy. With the Swiss Half Fare Card you need to buy tickets for each trip. As for which option is cheaper, please see the third link I gave you. You will need to calculate that if you want to be sure.

2. Please download the map from the pass pages I linked to. All details are there (be sure to zoom in for full details).

• The thread ‘Swiss 3 day pass or Jungfrau Pass (10-12 Sept)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.