Swiss Car Trains for late November travel

• Boredy
    Participant
    17 posts
    16 July 2017 at 23:10:31 #812648

We are traveling from Sindelfingen, Germany to Lake Como. I would like to know if I can route my trip to experience car train along the way to Menaggio? Since the travel date is Nov 20th, I am not sure if the route is do-able in Fall/Winter.

I looked at the map, from Sindelfingen, head South towards, Bern to Kandersteg, take the car train to Goppenstein, then go on A2 to Menaggio. Will the roads be closed this time?

Alternatively, there is another route. Sindelfingen, to Kandersteg take car train to Goppenstein, to Brig car train to Iselle and to Menaggio.

Can someone please direct me if this trip is possible during our travel time? It would be great if you can offer any suggestions.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2017 at 7:06:51 #866977

Hi Boredy and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We have a list of the car train options in Switzerland here, and note if there is an alternative road or not. (ie from Kandersteg to Goppenstein there is no road option).

To keep up to date on mountain passes and whether they are open use the Alpenpasse website.

Let us know if you have further questions!

Lucas

Boredy
    Participant
    17 posts
    17 July 2017 at 7:59:33 #866978

Hello there,

Based on your knowledge, are the roads mostly closed during that time of the month? I am aware no one can predict the weather, however we have to make hotel reservations.

What would be the best route to take crossing the Swiss Alps during late November?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jacquie

Arno
    15481 posts
    17 July 2017 at 8:15:05 #866979

Hi Jacquie,

There’s a list of the main pass roads and their average opening season here: myswissalps.com/car/tr afficinfo. By late November you should count on passes to be closed, apart from the few that do not close at all in winter. If others are still open you would be lucky. Note that all towns can be reached all year round, but you may have to take a car train or detour.

The Kandersteg to Goppenstein car train (“Lötschberg”) operates all year round. The Brig to Iselle car train does not operate when you’re there, but the Simplon pass is open all year round. Temporary closures in case of extreme weather are always possible.

• The thread ‘Swiss Car Trains for late November travel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.