Swiss Card or Half Fare Card ??!!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2011 at 4:25:02 #804275

During our visit to Wengen (5 days), Lucerne (2 days) and Zurich (1 day), we (3 adults) are planning to make the following excursions in the regions.

Jungfraujoch
    Mannlichen cable car
    Lauterbrunnen waterfalls
    Trip to lake Brienz
    Harder kulm
    Open museum

Golden Round Trip (Pilatus)
    Old town
    Mount Rigi
    Mount titlis
    Museum of Transport
    Animal Park Goldau
    (Of course, not all)

Can somebody tell me, which of the above will fully covered by Swiss card or I will get a discount with Swiss card (that’s not offered with Half Card).

This is to take a decision to buy whether a swiss card (8 days saver – for three person) or Swiss flexi card (for 4 days) or just a Half fare card.

(Please don’t give me the link to map showing validity. It is very difficult understand – personal opinion).

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    9 May 2011 at 13:39:05 #832756

Hello thanvi. Whether a Swiss Card or a Swiss Half Fare Card is best, depends on your inbound and outbound journey. This is because the Swiss Card offers a free round trip from the airport or border to your resort (Wengen), and back from your last resort (Zurich) to the airport or border. Apart from this free round trip, the Swiss Card offers the exact same discounts as the Swiss Half Fare Card: both passes allow a 50% discount on all trips indicated on the maps you mention. So the lines on the Swiss Card map indicate that either free traveling applies there during your inbound and outbound trip, or a 50% discount during the rest of your stay in Switzerland.

Only if your inbound and outbound journey are quite long and expensive, a Swiss Card will be more economical than a Swiss Half Fare Card.

Just to make sure: none of the travel plans you list are fully covered (that is, completely for free) with a Swiss Card, as these plans don’t seem to be part of your inbound or outbound trip. Instead, a 50% reduction applies as explained above, and there are no further differences between the Swiss Card and the Swiss Half Fare Card. Museums may apply their own rules.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2011 at 14:40:10 #832757

I am really sorry. Wat I meant was Swiss Pass; not Swiss card.

Thanks a lot for ur valuable time.

• The thread ‘Swiss Card or Half Fare Card ??!!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.