Swiss card route validity

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2012 at 0:57:15 #805216

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thanks for your valuable services and really it’s very good for the swiss newcomers like us.
    Our travel agent is providing the swiss card with top of europe & Mt.Titlus for the following of our Golden pass trip from 25/05/12 to 31/05/12.

Day 1 : Zurich to Montreux
    Day 2 : Montreux to Interlaken
    Day 3 : Interlaken to top of Europe
    Day 4 : local sight seeings.
    Day 5 : Interlaken to Lucerne
    Day 6 : Lucerne to Mt. Titlus
    Day 7 : Lucerne to Zurich

Kindly clarify the following of our doubts.

1. Whether this swiss card is free for all these trip as advised by our travel agents? Because it’s known from this forum that swiss card is valid for the round trip only on shortest route where as it’s not lookng like short. Please confirm.
    2. When I have asked for the upgradation of swiss card into swiss pass, he told that it’s not possible to do as this is their standard package. Is it true?
    3. We are planning to go to Rhino falls from Zurich zirport before start of the above journey on day 1. With this card, can we avail 50% discount by activating ths pass but before commencement of our journey?
    4. On day 4 in interlaken, we would like to go for the boat either in Thun or Brienz. Please suggest the best one with some excursions also for one full day.
    5. Is it possible to do the Mt.Titlus trip on day 5 morning directly from Interlaken & evening stay in lucerne?
    6. Please suggest the best one out of Transportation musium or Mt. Rigi / Mt. Pilatus on Day 6.
    7. On Day 1 we have planned to visit Chillon castle & catc the 13:45 golden pass to interlaken. is it comfortable of switch on to the next train?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Muthu.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 April 2012 at 15:57:13 #835942

Hello Muthu! If your travel agent offered you the general Swiss Card, you can read all about it here. In that case your inbound (Zurich-Montreux, using the most direct route which does not include a side trip to the Rhine Falls) and outbound (Lucerne-Zurich) trip would be for free and the remaining trips would be discounted by 50%. However, since your travel agent seems to offer free traveling, I guess another type of pass is involved. Questions on the validity of this Swiss Card can therefore best be directed to your travel agent.

As for your other questions:
    3. No, there’s no discount available before you actually start your inbound journey. But again, you can best ask your travel agent.
    4. Both lakes are brilliant. A boat trip over lake Thun can be combined with the Beatus caves, Beatenberg, the Niederhorn or a visit to Thun. A boat trip over lake Brienz could be followed by the trip up to Brienz Rothorn, the Giessbach falls or the Reichenbach falls at Meiringen. Details on boat trips can be found at the BLS website.
    5. Yes, that’s an option. Please refer to the timetable for all details on your trips by train.
    6. If weather is nice I would opt for Mt. Rigi, as it’s closest to Lucerne and offers great views. The museum is a very nice alternative for a bad weather day.
    7. I’m not sure if I understand this question correctly. Do you mean day 2? Anyway, yes, a visit to the castle in the morning and the Golden Pass trip in the afternoon can be done.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2012 at 8:43:57 #835943

Thanks Annika.
    We are yet to get our travel documents from our Agent and possibly let me come back by this week end.
    Regds,
    Muthu.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2012 at 2:50:30 #835944

Dear Annika,
    Would you please help us in the following doubts.
    1. As we are taking full fare ticket to Rhine falls from Zurich airport before the commencement of the swiss card journey, are we need to take tickets for our children also or no need as we are having the passport with us instead of family card? I want to know the children ticket policy in case if we do not have any pass.
    2. In platus golden rounf trip, the ticket is having valid on our return bus travel from kriens to lucerne? I want to know whether the ticket is only valid for train travel or including all mode of transport.
    3. During our trip by last week of this month, whether we need winter wears in swiss? It’s told that temp. will be 10 to 15 deg. Please suggest as our kids are 2 & 7 years old.

4. Is it possible to get the on the spot seat reservation at the station on golden pass from Interlaken to Lucerne? As we have not planned for this trip but by chance if possible to do on the go, we would like to know. We came to know that we can not travel in the golden pass without seat reservation.

Once again thank you very much for your marvelous service.

Regds,
    MUTHU.

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 May 2012 at 14:00:57 #835945

Hello muthu!

1. Please contact your travel agent for details, as they seem to offer another type of Swiss Card than the regular one. You can consult the FAQ to find out about discounts for children traveling without a pass.
    2. Yes, a regular Swiss Card would offer discounts for the bus too. But again, I don’t know details on your pass.
    3. Temperatures can vary greatly. If you want to get up to Pilatus and other mountain tops, you do need warm (winter) jackets and solid shoes. Don’t forget sunglasses either!
    4. To be sure of a seat, you can best arrange for your reservations in advance. However, you may still be able to book seats a few days in advance. I wouldn’t try it right before boarding though. Please note that you can also travel the same route in regular trains that don’t need reservation.

• The thread ‘Swiss card route validity’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.