Swiss card;About the border station

Swiss card;About the border station

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
iccarus
iccarus
2 posts
Jan 29, 2011 - 10:36 PM
Hi!
Nice to know this fantastic forum.
I am going to stay in Verbier during coming March.
My flight will arrive at Zurich airport at 26/02 late evening, and I will stay in Zurich downtown for 1 night and then, head to Verbier next day.
I am planning to buy "Swiss Card" for round trip and some short distance sightseeings during my stay in Verbier.
My question is "Can I start my trip to Verbier from the Zurich HB, or should I come back to the Zurich Flughafen for the begining of Swiss Card train trip?"
For the returning trip, I will come back from Verbier to Zurich airport directly.
Is the Zurich HB a border station?
Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Jan 30, 2011 - 8:48 AM
Hello iccarus! The Swiss Card is valid from airport and border stations. Zurich HB isn't a border station, but Zurich Airport is, of course, an airport station. If you purchase your Swiss Card, it depends on the reseller how the pass must be validated. Some resellers (a.o. Swiss Travel Centre) issue Swiss Cards that you can validate yourself. All you have to do is write down the date on which you want to start using your Swiss Card. In this case, you can simply write down the date of 27/02 and start using your Swiss Card the day after arrival from Zurich HB.

Other resellers, however, such as RailEurope, issue passes that have to be validated by a railway official at the station. This goes for purchasing the pass at Zurich Airport as well. In these cases, you can ask the railway official at Zurich Airport to validate the pass for 27/02 instead of 26/02, and ask if it's okay to start using it from Zurich HB instead of Zurich Airport.

If you want to know all details on validating your Swiss Card, you can best contact the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) or the resellers I just mentioned (RailEurope and STC).
Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 4:31 PM by Arno
iccarus
iccarus
2 posts
Jan 30, 2011 - 11:34 AM
So sweet to reply so promptly!
I live in South Korea, and I ordered the Swiss Card at the Rail-Europe office in SEOUL, KOREA.
And so, I should make the card validated at the station in Swiss.
My flight will arrive at around 8 PM and, I should be able to exit the customs after 9 PM.
Do I have to validate the card at border/airport station?
If so, is the station office at airport still open at that time, Saturday evening?
Thank you for your kindness.
Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Feb 1, 2011 - 10:53 AM
Hi iccarus. Yes, you should validate your Swiss Card at the airport station and ask them to validate it for 27/02. The office should still be open by 9pm. Opening hours for the Zurich airport station can be found through the SBB website.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016