Swiss Day trips from Eurotel Victoria Villars

• dorisd
    Participant
    3 posts
    2 August 2015 at 22:34:42 #807675

Hello I will be 2 weeks in Villars – French speaking part and would like suggestions of about 10 good day trips from there. I will have a car.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 August 2015 at 0:11:45 #844953

Hi Doris-

Welcome to the forum.

I have stayed in that area a few times, and really enjoy it. There is a restaurant not far from the “main” station in Villars -sur -Bex whose terrace looks out over the valley and the Dents du Midi. Don’t miss.

I assume you have planned on a lot of alpine hiking, since there is not much else to do up there.

What are your interests..hiking, mountaineering, …?

Let us know and we can give more suggestions.

Slowpoke.

dorisd
    Participant
    3 posts
    3 August 2015 at 1:31:14 #844954

Yes I like hiking and lake visits.

I would like to drive 1-2 hours each day to get somewhere, then see the sights and then return back in the evening.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 August 2015 at 14:34:26 #844955

There are lots of interesting places within that time from Villars, even if it does take you twenty minutes or more to drive down to the valley and main highway.

If I were doing it, I’d consider dumping my car at Ollon and using the train instead for the following sights. There is a LOT of scenery along the way, and you cannot really appreciate looking at it if you’re driving your car on an unfamiliar road.

Sion (nice walk up to the ruined church); Montreux; train from Vevey to Puidoux; Lausanne/Ouchy/lake boat back to train line at Montreux; Le Rochers de Naye, Gruyeres; Fribourg -go down to the old town by funicular, maybe walk through the Gotteron Schlucht to Ameismühle, then swing south then west up and back over the fields to Le Bourgillon and back down to the old town. (Get a hiking map – see what the tourist office can provide.)

Are you a rail fan? There is a train museum that runs trains regularly at Blonay or Chambly up on the hillside above Montreux or Vevey.

Just in passing, I see that you will go through or near another Villars near Fribourg. The town of Villars-sur-Glane is near Fribourg.

Bern is in reach, but I’d take the train instead of trying to find my way slowly through the city by car. Will you have a map reader sitting next to you in your car? One who can quickly read the signs in German and French if you are in a hurry at a complex intersection? Or, rent a GPS? Makes it easier, but they are not foolproof.

On Lake Geneva (or Lac Leman, as the French call it) take a boat to Yvoire (on the French shore.) or drive 1 and 1/2 hours from Villars through France.

dorisd
    Participant
    3 posts
    4 August 2015 at 14:24:49 #844956

Thank you, Great ideas. I just saw a post about a Geneva regional pass. Would that be something good for me to get or not really because I do have the rental car?

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 August 2015 at 14:47:56 #844957

With a car the Swiss Half Fare Card is worth your consideration. You can get one through http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-half-fare-card, or find all the options here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 August 2015 at 15:34:51 #844958

<<” 3posts: new memberAug 4, 2015 – 2:24 PMin reply to SlowpokeThank you, Great ideas. I just saw a postabout a Geneva regional pass. Would that be something good for me to getor not really because I do have the rental car?”>>

You may find that the car interferes with your ability to travel freely, easily, and cheaply.

I had to work in a suburb of Geneva for many years, and I stayed downtown. Taxi rides to my job- near the airpor -t, could take 40 or more minutes during rush hours. Non-rush hours, 15 minutes.

It is not easy to park in Geneva, so you’ll likely end up using public transportation anyway.

Arno and Annika, the forum moderators, are experts on train passes, etc.

Let’s see what they have to say.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Swiss Day trips from Eurotel Victoria Villars’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.